Homing Pigeon in Backyard

BuffOrpington88

Songster
Mar 20, 2012
Hello,
We seemed to have acquired a homing pigeon. He arrived in our backyard a few hours ago, and doesn't really want to leave.
-He is not injured.
-We gave him some water, but then we gave him some millet and oats and he keeps coming back.
-We tried to catch him before, he is a little flighty but you can approach him slowly. He won't let anyone pick him up, he flies away.
-He has a blue leg band.
-There are many hawks in the area, along with a bunch of foxes and dogs.
-He is on the ground in front of the barn in the shade.

So, should we leave him there or put him in the barn for the night and release him tomorrow morning (or contact the owner)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you can feed him and give him refuge he may gain strength enough to complete his journey back to his point of origin. Or he may just adopt you as his new providers. There may be information on his band to get in contact with his owner.

A leg band doesn't necessarily mean homing pigeon. Any way to get a pic? If it is a homer it should take off and head for home after it rests. If its a fancy, roller, etc it is probably lost.

I have a homer and she was caged for a few weeks when she was a squab but now she just comes and goes as she pleases, took her to a 4-h meeting to release her and see if she would go home but she just stays with me :) Sometimes she does leave during colder months but I think she just seeks refuge in a barn instead of going south, It has been up to 8 months between her visits

Back
Top Bottom