Honey Bees?

Frazzemrat1

Free Ranging
May 8, 2017
Eastern Connecticut
anybody have any thoughts as to why, in the last week, I suddenly have honey bees buzzing and digging around in my chicken feed? I feed my flock grower crumble, oyster on the side.

anybody have any thoughts as to why, in the last week, I suddenly have honey bees buzzing and digging around in my chicken feed? I feed my flock grower crumble, oyster on the side.
Tis the season that the flowers have ceased and the bees are collecting the fines just as they would collect pollen from flowers. During the blooming season, they get sufficient pollen from the flowers that they won't bother with the fines from the feed.

I know yellow jackets diet is mostly protein, except during the fall, when they seek out sugar (as a guy who pressed apple cider today, I can confirm this).

So, maybe it was yellow jackets and they were after the protein in the chicken feed?

Sounds like they finding a new food source. I'm sure they won't eat much. But will the hens eat them? I'd be happy feeding honey bees.

Working at a wax plant, when we bagged a certain food additive and made a mess, the road would be covered with honey bees cleaning up our mess wax. Nature is amazing!

Sounds like they finding a new food source. I'm sure they won't eat much. But will the hens eat them? I'd be happy feeding honey bees.

Working at a wax plant, when we bagged a certain food additive and made a mess, the road would be covered with honey bees cleaning up our mess wax. Nature is amazing!

So far, the chickens haven't messed with them. Usually something flies around the run and they chase it down, the bees are ignored.

Back
Top Bottom