Hook Bill video-Must see!

My husband made the mistake of showing me this video. It’s why I want some Hookbills.

@apricotvalleywf you’re right that the video has some heavy handed Hyperbole, but it feels like it’s true sometimes. Other than you guys, there’s only a couple other smaller scale farms that offer hatching eggs that I’ve seen. No larger scale hatcheries do.

Last edited:
We can't offer hatching eggs for a few reasons. It makes our birds have to lay more and longer. People get upset if they don't hatch eggs. Hatching eggs de-values (to some extent) the investment (time, money, etc) that we have our into the flock. It's a hard balance not mention the USA/Canada border being involved. We will be bringing as many adult birds as requested to the Ohio National Poultry show for pickup or airline shipments.

We have an extremely large flock of Hookbills and they are secure at our farm for the rest of their days. Some large hatcheries only offer Hookbills for sale if they are profitable enough for them. We don't work that way as it's the birds first at our farm.

Thanks for the kind words from everyone!

Last edited:
Nice to see AVW get this kind of recognition. It is a fun video to watch!
I do love my Hookbills but for personality Saxonies are my favorite!
Both are lovely.
I hope breeders of the DHB concentrate on their historical purpose- up to 200 eggs/year and self-sufficiency. It seems people are concentrating on color though. (I think AVW is working on egg production?)

We don't breed any breed for any one trait. We are preserving what David Holderread has done with these birds with his philosophy as our driving force.

Nice to see AVW get this kind of recognition. It is a fun video to watch!
I do love my Hookbills but for personality Saxonies are my favorite!
Both are lovely.
I hope breeders of the DHB concentrate on their historical purpose- up to 200 eggs/year and self-sufficiency. It seems people are concentrating on color though. (I think AVW is working on egg production?)

Hello everyone!!
For anyone that would have loved a Gil update, life's still crazy busy unexpectedly however, Gil is doing great and we'll be back on the set routine hopefully by tomorrow and I'll have lot's of pics to show!
Anyways, haven't had much time to just sit around recently so I stayed up a little late tonight to do so. I came across this video on youtube and it is just the sweetest. It is 15 minutes, but if you like hook bills or even just a good duckling story, THIS VIDEO IS A MUST SEE!!
We need more duck people like this in the world!
So heart warming :)
Amazing video!!:love:love:love:love:love

We don't breed any breed for any one trait. We are preserving what David Holderread has done with these birds with his philosophy as our driving force.
What is his philosophy?

My point was that breeding just for color will not ensure their long term survival. As a historical breed it’s important to breed with their historical use in mind, which was eggs and low input.

Back
Top Bottom