Hookworms in chickens?

ChickenWitch1

In the Brooder
May 31, 2022
I lost a chicken a couple days ago to what I thought was gapeworms. She had all the symptoms of it. Another chicken started showing the same symptoms so I took her to the vet yesterday and they tested her feces. They said she does not have gapeworms, but hookworms? Does anyone know what the symptoms of hookworms are? I can’t find anything online.

Birds become lethargic, pale egg yolks, egg production loss are some symptoms. What did your vet give you to treat your birds?
Keep in mind that hookworms can infect humans, dont go barefooted.

Birds become lethargic, pale egg yolks, egg production loss are some symptoms. What did your vet give you to treat your birds?
Keep in mind that hookworms can infect humans, dont go barefooted.
They didn’t give us anything. We went there saying we suspected gapeworms, so they said they would give us something for it if the test came back positive for it. But since they didn’t test positive for it they didn’t give us anything. We’re going to get safeguard right now for it. Could hookworm cause them to gasp for air a lot and shake their head back and forth? That’s what’s happening.

They didn’t give us anything. We went there saying we suspected gapeworms, so they said they would give us something for it if the test came back positive for it. But since they didn’t test positive for it they didn’t give us anything. We’re going to get safeguard right now for it. Could hookworm cause them to gasp for air a lot and shake their head back and forth? That’s what’s happening.
Fortunately I've never dealt with hookworms and only know a few of the symptoms.
I understand why you thought gapeworms were the cause due to the gasping and head shaking. Capillary worms can cause those symptoms. Here's a link for you to read. Scroll down to Hairworms/Threadworms. No worries though, Safeguard will eliminate all of them. Make sure you dose each chicken orally x 5 days.
https://www.sprcentre.com/sprc/Worm_Control_in_Poultry.htm

Back
Top Bottom