HOOSIERS Only - INDIANA - Ru1?

There is a sale in Topeka, IN at there sale barn May 4-5 the birds all sell that friday starting at noon. It is actually an exotic animal auction but on friday all that sells is chickens, ducks, and pheasants.

I'm not doing chicks this year (I'm sure going to miss having fuzzy butts around
sad.png
). I'm trying a few serama this spring instead - got a pair this week and will pick up another one or two pullets in March. They sure are cutie pies - so tiny!!
love.gif

I have a little silkie serama hen I am looking to place. She is not working out for me and the other hens don't like her. She is always by herself. Had her in the house but that wasn't working for me either. She has one crooked toe. I'd like $20 for her.

Hello everyone! This is my first post... I've been lurking for a while, gathering information and making chicken plans
smile.png
My name is Sally, and I live in Indianapolis with my 13-year-old daughter, Anne, and our Irish Terrier, Lottie. My 18-year old daughter, Rosemary, is a freshman at IU.

Anne started a lobbying campaign for chickens last spring. We've spent a lot of time researching and planning and now I'm more excited than she is! We're heading to Lowe's this weekend to buy lumber so we can begin building our coop in preparation for chicks this spring. As I was reviewing the plans, however, a new question entered my mind. The coop we're building -
http://www.sallyfay.com/chicken_coop_plans.pdf - does not have insulation, and I'm worried the the chickens will be too cold in the winter. I'd really appreciate some feedback from fellow Hoosiers on whether it will be an issue.

Thanks so much... I'm looking forward to sharing experiences with all of you!

~Sally

No insulation necessary. Just make sure they have lots of litter/straw and they will huddle together and stay toasty. This was my first winter
with chickens and they are in an uninsulated coop. They did just fine even though the coop is pretty big. I live in Solsberry. Welcome to the
wonderful world of chickens....they are a blast. I had no idea what I was missing;-)

Back
Top Bottom