HOOSIERS Only - INDIANA - Ru1?

Hey fellow Hoosiers how are your chicks and chickens handling the heat wave?

This is hotter than Tampa. (where I moved from) I am providing lots of shade and providing plenty of fresh,cool water several times a day. So far so good but I hope it doesn't last for long. Is this what it will be like all summer?

This is hotter than Tampa. (where I moved from) I am providing lots of shade and providing plenty of fresh,cool water several times a day. So far so good but I hope it doesn't last for long. Is this what it will be like all summer?
My thoughts exactly!! Next week's forecast looks good as long as we get through tomorrow. :)

As a first time chicken owner, I was really worried about the heat especially with the coop being new. I wasnt sure how hot it would get in there. The chickens and ducks have access to the run, but the guineas dont (yet). But all are doing quite well. They are going through more water than usual, but that is expected. Been getting off work around 5-7 last couple days and I come home to most if not all the chickens out foraging in the run acting like nothing is bothering them. I will be getting some freeze packs from the dollar store to freeze and place in the waterers in the morning to help keep the water cooler while I am away at work. Hopefully that will work.

I'm an Indiana girl. Born and raised right here and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I live in New Albany but grew up in Floyd Knobs. I just bought my first chicks, 6 silkies, 2 partridge and 4 not known yet. I love these little guys already and they are only 2 days old. Looking to add a few more to my flock but can't find any blue or splash silkies around me.

I'm an Indiana girl. Born and raised right here and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I live in New Albany but grew up in Floyd Knobs. I just bought my first chicks, 6 silkies, 2 partridge and 4 not known yet. I love these little guys already and they are only 2 days old. Looking to add a few more to my flock but can't find any blue or splash silkies around me.

Your chicks are adorable! I wonder if your lighter ones are blue partridge? Looks like they should be beautiful birds. Did you find them locally? Enjoy the babies, they grow up so fast.

I love reading about what my fellow Hoosiers are raising. We are doing well with the heat here in Jasper County. I have a question for you: I want to get NPIP certified but is it worth the eighty dollars a year to do? I do not have birds old enough yet, but want to get my ducks in a row ! LOL !!! The paperwork I have says that the min. I need to test is 30 birds. We don't plan on having 30 layers total. We are hoping to have a min. of 15 layers and a few roosters. The only time we will have more than that is when we are feeding out meat birds. Just want some of your thoughts! I have read the forum of the nationwide thoughts of NPIP and do not want to cause a heated discussion. I am just very torn with this. The cost is a lot for a small farm like us and when other states are free, it is hard to understand the cost justifcation within the state. Thank you in advance for reading this.

Have you called your local 4h to see if they have someone who will do the test on less then 30 birds. Some one here with silkies in Indiana said 4h birds have to be tested before they can be brought to the class. I think he only had 2-4 silkies.

Have you called your local 4h to see if they have someone who will do the test on less then 30 birds. Some one here with silkies in Indiana said 4h birds have to be tested before they can be brought to the class. I think he only had 2-4 silkies.
Yes, all 4H birds have to be tested in surrounding counties. Most have one day when they test all of the birds that are going to that fair. If I have understood everything right, I would need to be NPIP certified flock to sell birds and transport them across state lines. I can get someone to test them I think, but I would still have to pay the eighty dollars. Or I just forget the NPIP altogether and sell birds at the area weekly poultry auction. I would really like to not to do that, but if that is what I have to do until I can pay for NPIP stuff, I will. I just do not understand why if they want us to partake in this program, why it is so much money? Just very disheartening to try and do things right and feel like you are going to get the shaft of the deal.

Back
Top Bottom