Hoover’s Mystic Onyx

Pics
I remember getting like five of these from tractor supply last year and being quite annoyed! They were called southern ramblers and I was told they were great egg layers, and when I got home I realized that many of them had extra toes and feathered feet! I assumed they were just random silkie crosses that were sent to them as rejects or something and they were mislabeled, and I wanted a layer so I gave them all away. I couldn't find anything called "southern rambler" anywhere and I remember posting about it here. Interesting that they're marketing them as a breed now.

Interesting that they're marketing them as a breed now.
They are just a random silkie mix though tbh. they're as much a breed as a sexlink or EE. You should have held onto them to see how the egg production was. Supposedly they lay better then the EE they offer. I've noticed hoover sells alot of mixed type chickens. The only reason I got them was because Im fond of mixed breed chickens and they're an all black chicken I can afford to get several of lol. Its nice getting back into chicken keeping know that I have the space again.

They are just a random silkie mix though tbh. they're as much a breed as a sexlink or EE. You should have held onto them to see how the egg production was. Supposedly they lay better then the EE they offer. I've noticed hoover sells alot of mixed type chickens. The only reason I got them was because Im fond of mixed breed chickens and they're an all black chicken I can afford to get several of lol. Its nice getting back into chicken keeping know that I have the space again.
I agree! Although I prefer to mix breeds on my own because it feels more interesting to choose what you mix and I get more attached when they're from my birds. I wonder if they would have been good egg layers, I have some ts EE and they're not bad. Unfortunately the "southern ramblers" were killed in a raccoon attack after I gave them away, unfortunate incident with an irresponsible pet sitter :( . I kept two out of curiosity but they were both roosters and I ended up rehoming them as well. I wonder if maybe last year they were doing like a trial run of the silkie mixes at feedstores, because I couldn't find any mention of them or any pictures from commercial hatcheries that resembled them. I'll be curious to see how yours do as layers!

Hoovers also has the Asia Blacks and I am not sure how much of an actual breed those are either. But honestly for those of us that don't breed anyone anyway and have no roosters it doesn't much matter.

I agree! Although I prefer to mix breeds on my own because it feels more interesting to choose what you mix and I get more attached when they're from my birds. I wonder if they would have been good egg layers, I have some ts EE and they're not bad. Unfortunately the "southern ramblers" were killed in a raccoon attack after I gave them away, unfortunate incident with an irresponsible pet sitter :( . I kept two out of curiosity but they were both roosters and I ended up rehoming them as well. I wonder if maybe last year they were doing like a trial run of the silkie mixes at feedstores, because I couldn't find any mention of them or any pictures from commercial hatcheries that resembled them. I'll be curious to see how yours do as layers!
l Can see why people would prefer that. I don't care ether way personally. That said I only plan on keeping black and slat legged birds. clean legged is preferred but not mandatory. So im actually happy that the one chick I got that was not black is in there. Luckily it also seems to have slate legs. "Ameraucanas" and sumatras from mcmurrey are supposed to be here in June I beleave.

Hoovers also has the Asia Blacks and I am not sure how much of an actual breed those are either. But honestly for those of us that don't breed anyone anyway and have no roosters it doesn't much matter.
Pretty sure these are just a more egg focused version of those but idk.

https://hoovershatchery.com/mysticonyx.html

Hey, I remember reading threads here and there from last year or so about people getting mysterious but cute black-skinned chickens from their feed stores that carry chicks from Hoover’s Hatchery. I can’t remember the breed name they were being called. Anyway, Hoover’s has recently released their new breeds for 2021 and there is the “Mystic Onyx” hybrid! Derived from Silkies, standard size.

If my local TSC gets any in next year, I’d definitely be interested :D

Hey, I remember reading threads here and there from last year or so about people getting mysterious but cute black-skinned chickens from their feed stores that carry chicks from Hoover’s Hatchery. I can’t remember the breed name they were being called. Anyway, Hoover’s has recently released their new breeds for 2021 and there is the “Mystic Onyx” hybrid! Derived from Silkies, standard size.

i just got 6 chicks from my local feed store that got them from hoovers. they are the mystic onyx. they look good.

i just got 6 chicks from my local feed store that got them from hoovers. they are the mystic onyx. they look good.

keep us up to date!!

Turns out my TSC is getting chicks from elsewhere this year. Of course this happens, because I had a wishlist all prepared for if I came across particular breeds from Hoover’s for this year!

Back
Top Bottom