Hopefully I get my ducks in the morning...

Birdydeb

Songster
Apr 6, 2016
In a valley between the mountains
May 26 hatch was a bust ....Metzers notified me not enough ducklings to fill order. :( Postponed to June 13 and I have had no messages this time so I am assuming this time is a go. So nervous....and excited. 10 Welsh Harlequin(a few go to a friend) ducks and 1 drake and a pair of Tufted Buff Geese. This heat has me worried though. Will keep everyone posted. :)

Develop a plan to protect them in the heat . . . do you have a thermometer (safe kind that won't break)? What kind of brooder will they be in? Have you read the Raising Ducklings sticky yet?

I have a thermometer. I have two plastic tubs that has pine shavings under puppy pads and two 75 watt heat lamps. I also bought the Victor Flea Traps when I read about them in a thread. Some people have used them but I swear, they look too small to me. I also have a reptile heat bulb with no light. Actually I have multiple ways to keep them warm in the brooder. Just need to decide by in the morning I guess. I also have duplicate tubs so I can switch them out to clean. I have non-medicated chick starter and Brewer's Yeast. They will be in the laundry room and that room stays around 75. I plan to use the chick waterer for the first couple days and switch to half gallon jugs. I guess my only question would be should I use Nutri-Drench or Rooster Booster in the water when they arrive. I bought both but didn't realize the Nutri-Drench bottle was so small and not sure how many days it will go. Can re-order it if necessary. The heat I am worried about is for them in transport. Have I forgotten anything?

Eta: I read the Raising Ducklings sticky. :)

Last edited:
I gave the ducklings plain water most of the time - once every week or two I would add poultry vitamins. I was able to get waterfowl starter so I was not concerned about niacin, too much.

Do you have anything under the waterers to catch splash?

Sounds like you are really doing a good job of preparing - there are always surprises, so please keep us posted!

hugs.gif

I shouldn't put anything extra in their water to help them from being shipped? Or just wait and see how they are? I haven't totally worked out something for under the water. I have a little grate and I have a shallow plastic dish. Thought I might see which works best. I plan to put their food in a round dish next to the water. Surprises.....yeah. I don't like surprises but at least I know where to come for help. :)

I would see how they are . . . you may want to put a little something in the water, but if they seem fine, I don't know if I would. Sometimes we just need to go with out gut.

I have ducks! And my two goslings! All arrived alert and ready to eat and drink. Put them in the brooder and they mobbed the water and food. Now they are cuddling in the corner where the heat is. They are just.....so. Stinking. Cute. :)

Back
Top Bottom