Hormonal Implanta and Bumblefoot. My gal can’t catch a break.

Urban Waddler

Songster
May 17, 2018
Minnesota
So, my sweet year and a half old Loretta has been struggling with her molt, laying goofy thin and rough eggs, had a blood feather break, is getting overbred by her brother (not biological) and now has Bumblefoot on both feet. :(.

I brought her to the vet this morning and they took blood, did X-rays and prescribed Silver Sulfadiazine for the feet. My vet said her ovary was huge, which tells her she is extremely hormonal and this is likely why she is taking so long with her molt and why she is just struggling in general. She says that if her bloodwork looks good, a hormonal implant is our best shot at having her live a healthy good life. Loretta is my baby girl. I’d do anything for her. I’m so concerned because her sister, Whitebeard died while attempting to get an implant under anesthesia. She was sick at the time with a nasty prolapsed cloaca at least and likely deeper prolapse. My vet says they can do it under sedation instead, because I will never put another duck under after that. But, I’m wondering if anyone has done this? They say it lasts six months, and this can jumpstart her system so that if she lays again, it has a chance to be more healthy laying. There’s also a risk she’ll never lay again, which my vet doesn’t think is a bad thing. I’m over eating the eggs at this point, and just want her to be ok.

My questions are 1.) is treating Bumblefoot with daily epsom soaks and silver Sulfadiazine gonna do the trick? And
2.) does anyone have experience with these implants who can help me feel better about this being an option? And
3.) any good ideas to clam my drake down so they can coexist again peacefully (right now, have a divider in coop, have them taking turns in pond, and watching them outside. He seems to only try to mate when in water or after waking up in the Morning.

That’s a lot, I know. I’m just so bummed. I’m literally maxing out credit cards on these ducks, and I don’t mind, but I need to be sure it’s the right thing to do.

Thanks!

I’m sorry you going through this with your baby girl. I can’t speak on the implant but I’ve treated bumble foot and Epsom salt soaks which help soften the scabs and make it easier to get the scabs off. Take your time and let the ES do its job on the scabs so you can easily peel off those scabs, I’ve never used Silver Sulfadiazine so not sure how that will work I just get the scabs off and then there is what is called the bumble which is infection and is usually thick and can be gotten out with sterile tweezers or squeezing will sometimes pop it out , but that can cause pain it is not quite ready to come out. Once the infection is out I use triple antibiotic or Manuka honey use no stick gauze pad and vet wrap then wait a few days to check and see. If it’s healing or needs more work on the bumble. Wishing you the best on the implant procedure.

I’m sorry you going through this with your baby girl. I can’t speak on the implant but I’ve treated bumble foot and Epsom salt soaks which help soften the scabs and make it easier to get the scabs off. Take your time and let the ES do its job on the scabs so you can easily peel off those scabs, I’ve never used Silver Sulfadiazine so not sure how that will work I just get the scabs off and then there is what is called the bumble which is infection and is usually thick and can be gotten out with sterile tweezers or squeezing will sometimes pop it out , but that can cause pain it is not quite ready to come out. Once the infection is out I use triple antibiotic or Manuka honey use no stick gauze pad and vet wrap then wait a few days to check and see. If it’s healing or needs more work on the bumble. Wishing you the best on the implant procedure.
Thanks! I will try some of this. My vet told me to keep my paws off it while the antibiotic cream is working, but maybe she thinks I’ll screw things up? She said she’d be pleased if it stopped growing or reduced size. I just don’t know anymore. Also, I checked my duck cam and saw her picking her softer shelled duck egg up with her bill and carrying it off to her pool, losing the yoke along the way...so, at least she the yokey stuff I found didn’t come directly out of her body? Also, why in the world would she do this? Maybe to protect it from her brother Duck? So weird.

I have no idea why they do these things mine have too but I have a clean up crew ( chickens) . Hey maybe this antibiotic cream bring it to the surface so do what you vet says and let us know if it works.

I don’t have a personal experience with hormone implants, but I do know some people who have gotten them for their birds.

I’ve heard good things about them, although I have also heard from someone that after the 6 months, their hen declined again so they had to get another implant, which I suppose makes sense.

Good luck! Make sure to keep us updated!

I don’t have a personal experience with hormone implants, but I do know some people who have gotten them for their birds.

I’ve heard good things about them, although I have also heard from someone that after the 6 months, their hen declined again so they had to get another implant, which I suppose makes sense.

Good luck! Make sure to keep us updated!
Thanks! That’s good to hear. Hoping a second one is not needed, but if that’s the worst thing that happens, ill take it. Thank you. :)

Back
Top Bottom