Horrible morning-Lost a hen. (dog)

BittyBanty

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
Albuquerque
62960_chickens_008.jpg

When you free range, even in a city with leash laws you have to expect to loose a bird eventually. Today was my turn. I lost one of my hens to a roaming dog. Bye Chili-birdie. You will be missed.
love.gif

Animal control found the owner right away. I am really sorry they are so nice, it made it hard to be mad. They came personally and apologized and gave me 2 times what I had asked for to replace my bird. They are also rehoming the dog since they have tried everything to contain it and it keeps getting out. Not the dog's fault, or their fault I guess. Nice-nice people and I wish I had met them under other circumstances.

Now to go cry.....
hit.gif

I'm sorry about your hen. I also feel badly for the owners, having to rehome their dog, but they're doing the right thing since this was apparently not the first time it has gotten loose. Is there any way to fence your yard to keep future stray dogs from getting in?

Is there any way to fence your yard to keep future stray dogs from getting in?

My yard is contained by a wall, not a fence. No other dog has succeeded in getting over the wall except this one. I'm not sure if it climbed the gate or what. You are right it has been here before, but I had left the gate open. Today the gate was closed.​

So sorry for the loss of your hen.
hugs.gif

It is nice to hear about people who are responsible pet owners. I know the money won't help you with the sadness of your loss, but at least you know that it was not because of uncaring people. They tried to do their best with the dog and have taken steps to prevent it from happening again.

Oh, what a beautiful hen, and I'm so sorry you lost her. Thankfully, you've got nice neighbors. Mine aren't so nice. The wife is, but the husband refuses to chain up or lock up the dog, who is constantly coming into our yard. He has grabbed a hen, and I know it's only a matter of time before he does it again.

Close call the other day, when I just happened to come out the front door to find him running halfway up the lawn toward a few of my laying hens that had wandered up into our front yard.

My condolences to you!

Sharon

Back
Top Bottom