Horse Baby-Vs-Now Pictures Thread

@Peaches Lee , the wolf is Sunni, a "bright" colored German Shepherd, hunter of coyotes, nursemaid to the small, defender of the weak. If I can ever find a health tested male, I really, really want puppies from her. Sadly, most serious breeders who health test won't touch her, since she is a combination of show and working lines, which a lot of breeders frown on, but what makes her "omg! She's JUST like the dog my Grandpa had on his farm" to you and I.

IMG_20170722_195717.jpg IMG_20181205_112542.jpg

Thanks, we love him. He's actually just a hair over 13.3 (and I'm short, lol) but the way he's built, everyone expects him to be bigger until they're right next to him.

She has her moments - lol, and she's had some fugly ones, but I think she'll mature really well. I'm excited to see how she turns out, especially as I got her in trade and have no idea about her father!
Irony =her mother's name is Diva! Your Diva is a lovely girl.
And I think your little Crete will surprise you! Next summer, you'll have a fat, sleek, rosy-gray. Some chestnut-to-grays get almost pink, folks sigh and swoon and wish they'd stay that way.
Thank you!! Shes my heart horse and I adore her. I get the "looks bigger in pictures" deal, Diva looks bigger than she is. She's just shy of 15hh, and I'm about at the top of her weight range, despite her musculature and spunky attitude.
I'm sure he will surprise me! His sire is pure white, so I'm very excited to see how quickly he goes pale grey. He's grayed out ridiculously fast for his age, faster than any of his half siblings from the same father, and he's arguably got the best conformation. Very excited to see how he matures, especially since he's nearly as tall as little Diva now! He's going to be a monster of a horse in terms of size, but he's very sweet and curious. Ive started all my own horses myself, so I really think he's going to be an easy one (Especially compared to his mom, who I started at 15! That was a hospital trip I should have expected, but she's a great riding horse now.)

@Peaches Lee , the wolf is Sunni, a "bright" colored German Shepherd, hunter of coyotes, nursemaid to the small, defender of the weak. If I can ever find a health tested male, I really, really want puppies from her. Sadly, most serious breeders who health test won't touch her, since she is a combination of show and working lines, which a lot of breeders frown on, but what makes her "omg! She's JUST like the dog my Grandpa had on his farm" to you and I.

View attachment 2488846View attachment 2488847
Shes beautiful! I have a differently colored German shepherd as well, my little white Lily. She's actually part coyote, she was a stray and I know nothing about her past, except for what I got from her DNA test. She's a great dog, and is very protective of "her" baby chickens.
20210108_151337.jpg
20201112_145945.jpg

Now, I REALLY wish I had baby pictures of this girl, Constance, my Connie... I got her when she was just a little over two, and she's going to be three next month. We've done bareback play and some very basic saddled work. (I start everyone bareback and free, aka no reins, because it tends to work a little better in the long run)
Excuse the little marks on her neck and shoulders in the last photo, she gets hives in the fall and winter, and I'm still figuring out what to do to help her get rid of them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Shes still a gangly young one, so it'll be neat to update when she's well muscled and has her summer coat again.
20210103_111031.jpg
20201228_080843.jpg
20210104_134306.jpg

Shes beautiful! I have a differently colored German shepherd as well, my little white Lily. She's actually part coyote, she was a stray and I know nothing about her past, except for what I got from her DNA test. She's a great dog, and is very protective of "her" baby chickens.
View attachment 2488883View attachment 2488884
How interesting! I had a coy-dog as well! She too was extremely protective of my chicks--like she loved them! She was a bit obnoxious about it too!

How interesting! I had a coy-dog as well! She too was extremely protective of my chicks--like she loved them! She was a bit obnoxious about it too!
Lily is hilarious, she beats up on the older chickens when they harass the young ones (baps them with paws, occasionally picks them up and deposits them back in their own coop, or brings them to me (unharmed!) ), and she chases the horses away from the coops when they get too close. Its very funny!

Thank you! We bought her from a horse trader, who brought her all the way back form Montana, in the back of a truck! He rushed her training, she was malnourished, and had possible ringworm. She always tried to cow kick and bite us at first, because I think she was scared, and nervous. She has come so far though! I do have a picture of her when we first got her, She was stuck in a tiny stall in the darkest corner of the barn all alone, and the trader said that she had been off hay for 3 days. No idea what else he was feeding her. While her best fiend was all the way across the barn, covered from head to toe in flies. I felt so bad for her, though without the trader, I never would have got to meet my Misty or even known here! It means I have no papers, or info on her past.
Wow!!!!

Constance is lovely! Is she an Arab?
The hives are nettle-rash, and regardless of if it's actually caused by nettles, is a common allergic reaction. Seasonally, she's eating something that she's a touch allergic to . The vet can prescribe antihistamines, but you should look around and see if there's a plant she's eating then or if her hay is coming from a different field.

Sounds like the perfect farm dog. Too bad you're having a hard time finding a male. It's interesting that people are against the working/showing mix. What about purchasing a male?
The lines have been bred for different things for long enough for some people to be utter snobs about it, (which doesn't actually take that long!) and consider a cross between them a "mutt".
And while I'd love to buy a male, I already have 3 dogs and 2 kids in an absurdly tiny caretaker's apartment, and if I both got a male and kept a puppy, I think that might be enough square footage in dogs to literally carpet the apartment when they all lay down, lol. But what really stops me is that a good quality male from health tested parents starts at $1,500

Love his NAME
Did you choose it from Lord Of The Rings
Of course!
Waaay back, long before the movies were a thing, my Dad started a family tradition of always having a pet named from Lord of The Rings. I think he's be proud of this one, because, the way that gray horse's color works, one day Gandalf the Gray will become Gandalf the White :D

Back
Top Bottom