Horse biting other horse

We're boarding 2 horses, quarter-mix somethings, a gelding and a mare. We don't know too much about horses, and the owners hardly EVER come by.

Here's what's happening: the gelding is 7yo and spunky and a bully. He follows the mare, won't let her eat grain or hay unless we separate them, etc. He just bosses her all day long. They're in a huge pasture, so it's not like he doesn't have enough grass to be happy. Tonight I saw him biting her. She's standing there eating grass and he bites her for no reason. She hollers at him pathetically but he keeps at it . She's had low weight issues, so when we do supplement their feed, we have to feed them separately or she won't get her share.

Is there anything I can do about this behavior of his? If I get another water trough, I could put each in a separate pasture, but don't horses like companions, even if they're mean?
Did the mare move off, and he pursued her? Does he leave marks when he bites?

At first blush, this seems like a no-brainer, but I'd prefer to see them in action before I pass judgement. You say you don't know much about horses, would you be able to tell the difference between a bite and a nip? Biting to drive the mare away is one thing, play-bite "flirting" is another. Horses can be very vocal under certain circumstances, and loud! Not every squeal is a sound of pain or distress.

Sounds to me like this gelding needs a playmate or job with which to work off his excess energy. He's not necessarily bad, more likely bored.

At any rate, the mare does need some peace and quiet, at least when she's eating. I'm with Kelly G in being concerned about ulcers. I'd also like to know why this gal has "weight issues," - Quarter horses are usually easy keepers (meaning that they can almost stay fat on air!) Things like teeth and worms come to mind, although being pestered by another horse can also interfere with the ability to convert forage into fat. Sometimes with horses, you really have to put on your Sherlock hat and get to the root of the problem, to find the solution!

Did the mare move off, and he pursued her? Does he leave marks when he bites?

At first blush, this seems like a no-brainer, but I'd prefer to see them in action before I pass judgement. You say you don't know much about horses, would you be able to tell the difference between a bite and a nip? Biting to drive the mare away is one thing, play-bite "flirting" is another. Horses can be very vocal under certain circumstances, and loud! Not every squeal is a sound of pain or distress.

Sounds to me like this gelding needs a playmate or job with which to work off his excess energy. He's not necessarily bad, more likely bored.

At any rate, the mare does need some peace and quiet, at least when she's eating. I'm with Kelly G in being concerned about ulcers. I'd also like to know why this gal has "weight issues," - Quarter horses are usually easy keepers (meaning that they can almost stay fat on air!) Things like teeth and worms come to mind, although being pestered by another horse can also interfere with the ability to convert forage into fat. Sometimes with horses, you really have to put on your Sherlock hat and get to the root of the problem, to find the solution!
THanks for thinking this through with me! Yes, the mare moved away, and he followed, speeding up to stay with her. He hasn't left marks recently. Probably more in the nip category. This past March, the mare suffered a wound on her lower lip, and I think he actually did bite her. A small chunk of her lip had been removed. I contacted the owner who sent some liquid med to rub on her lip. Maybe betadine. Anyway, she just seems frequently annoyed by him.

She does have some teeth issues that the owner can't afford to address. She gnaws on her bit when we saddle her up, pulling her mouth up and down like it bothers her. And when we feed her grain in the winter, she chews slowly...very slowly. Worms? Who knows. THe owner promised me that she'd spend her tax return $ on a vet/ferrier visit. We'll see. We've already spent $ on these horses that the owner can't reimburse.

The gelding--yes, he does need interaction and training. He's so spunky, I can't let my kids work him without my dh there. And dh doesn't make too much time for him. He's nippy with us, too. Left a bruise on my shoulder one day when I was grooming him. Not well trained, I think.

If it weren't dangerous, I could send my dogs out to run with the gelding and give him something to do! Don't want a kicked dog.

It's good of you to care for the well being of these horses, even though they're not yours. I agree with everyone that separating them is probably for the best, plus give that boy a job! One other thing that might help is using a nose bag on the mare. That way she can't spill her food, it just keeps falling into the bag until she eats it all. You do have to supervise the horse while they wear one though.

As for the gelding, biting humans is cause for getting a "come to jesus meeting". Horses can easily remove a finger from your hand, never mind just bruise. His biting the humans means he doesn't respect you, he thinks he can boss you guys around and get away with it (because he has so far). Next time he bites he needs a very sharp correction. Kicking and biting are the two things a horse can NOT be allowed to get away with, especially if it's done to see how far they can push you.

As someone else said, he's not a bad boy necessarily, but he IS a bored boy. And bored boys can be very naughty. If riding him is out of the question, what about training him to do something useful or just fun? Does he know how to pick up all of his feet on command? I managed to train my mare to pick them up as I went to each one and say "pick up" while touching it lightly. I've seen people who progressed to just pointing at the foot they want lifted.

It's good of you to care for the well being of these horses, even though they're not yours. I agree with everyone that separating them is probably for the best, plus give that boy a job! One other thing that might help is using a nose bag on the mare. That way she can't spill her food, it just keeps falling into the bag until she eats it all. You do have to supervise the horse while they wear one though.
As for the gelding, biting humans is cause for getting a "come to jesus meeting". Horses can easily remove a finger from your hand, never mind just bruise. His biting the humans means he doesn't respect you, he thinks he can boss you guys around and get away with it (because he has so far). Next time he bites he needs a very sharp correction. Kicking and biting are the two things a horse can NOT be allowed to get away with, especially if it's done to see how far they can push you.
As someone else said, he's not a bad boy necessarily, but he IS a bored boy. And bored boys can be very naughty. If riding him is out of the question, what about training him to do something useful or just fun? Does he know how to pick up all of his feet on command? I managed to train my mare to pick them up as I went to each one and say "pick up" while touching it lightly. I've seen people who progressed to just pointing at the foot they want lifted.
You know, the day after the gelding bit my shoulder, my husband went out to see him and they did, in fact, have a "come to Jesus meeting." Ha. It was the day after but just as soon as dh could manage. Dh was NOT happy. Gelding hasn't hurt any of us since then (we have 5 kids who are near him at least weekly), but I agree to take biting & kicking very seriously.

I love your foot lift idea. I've known he's bored but haven't know what to do with him. I do like to ride him, but not until he's been lunged about 6 times to reestablish who's in charge. I visit him and talk to him and sometimes push him to backup or side move, just to see if he's listening to me. I'll mention the foot idea to my horse-happy daughters and see what they can do, safely.

THanks for your comments.

If they're familiar with clicker training, that might be another option. He can learn to "bow", or even just to offer his head to be bridled. If you want to see some of the more amazing stuff, take a look at Lukas:

Back
Top Bottom