horse sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that it is VITAL that the horse processing plants must be re-opened, and I love my horses as much as anyone. There just MUST be a place for unwanted, aged, or rogue horses. If the price of feed keeps climbing, we are going to see many thousands of horses starving, right along with the children who could be eating them in other countries around the world. Don't get me started either...................I could go on forever.
barnie.gif

I completely agree. They need to be reopened. Regulated better but reopened nonetheless! SOMETHING has to be done!

People are turning horses out of their fields onto the roads! It's ridiculous!

people should be held accountable for EVERY horse they no longer want or need to dispose of. The slaughter house in AZ now closed from France no longer buying as people were getting very ill from Rank meat.

And the people who knowingly send their horses to slaughter aren't being accountable? I have to admit I thought about it for a horse that was otherwise going to be put down anyway. Lots of people around here also raised horses knowing a good portion would go to slaughter. We slaughter other livestock. We even slaughter chickens after keeping them around the farm as pets. While I'm not sure I'd eat horse meat I have no issue with anyone else eating it provided the animals are handled and killed as humanely as possible. Personally I think it's more responsible than having to dump them on a rescue or someone else because you can't or won't care for them. I think the regulations for slaughter houses should be increased for all animals not just horses instead of being shut down. It did no real good eliminating horse slaughter. All it did was make a bad situation worse and now horses are being shipped out of country to be slaughtered. A longer trip in a trailer and less regulated conditions. I see very little good coming from it. Others are just being put down anyway because they have nowhere to go and no one to care for them. The slaughter industry would have helped the current situation with the economy and horse industry instead of adding fuel to the fire.

The only real issue I have with slaughter is people taking animals being sold as pets and using them as food. I have the same issue with people buying snake food and other such things. If a pet is sold as such through auction or otherwise it should not be bought by killers. People should be able to sell their animals knowing whether they will be killed or kept as pets even if they are sold several times down the line. Some animals I'd be willing to sell for food or feed to my own animals but when I was raising guinea pigs I didn't want them to go for snake food or the good horses I have bred or trained for a purpose to slaughter during the prime of their life. If they are going to be used for food for human or animal I think at minimum the breeder and current owner should agree to it. It's hard to regulate that though. Best you can do with the current system is write up a very detailed contract requiring the person to inform you they are selling the animal and take pictures to prove it's the same animal. That allows you to reclaim the animal if it's headed somewhere you don't like but doesn't gurantee you'll catch it before the animal is lost.​

PETA are stupid, if we'd learn how to regulate those kill plants effectively, we'd have little issue with keeping horses and other animals from being abused before slaughter, but we're too cheap to do that!

Anyway, I wish we had those prices here! All we want/need is a cutie pony to hang out in our front field, and we can't find a single semi-rideable pony for under $900, even at the auction the least you might find, on a cheap night too, is about $500-$600. No cheap horses or ponies near me!

Peta has done many VERY good things for animals, wether anyone likes it or not. The fact that it isnt in a -humans- best interest, but in the animals wellbeing. Am I saying they have the same emotions as us? No, but they do have emotions and they FEEL.

I can see the need for horse slaughter - for horses that cannot be cared for, that are too old with no options, ect ect, but the fact is that what was happening before was W-R-O-N-G In EVERY way. Not only that, but GOOD, young, and healthy horses that could have had great lives were killed.

As much as it is needed, i could care less how bad it hurts the economy if those horses were continued to be treated as they were before the plants were shut down... STUFFED in double decker trailers, hauled for DAYS without food or water, STARVED, NEGLECTED, and sometimes ABUSED by the people about to MERCILESSLY kill them. Wandering around with wounds, being scared out of their minds. I dont care if they arent human, they dont deserve to be tortured before they die. They FEEL too.

You know, most of the time, they dont die the first time - crude people with no training just shock them untill they die. Its is obviously painful if you have seen it with your own eyes.

Now i dont want horses to go starving, but honestly - if they open the slaughter houses back up, they need to go about this in a way that isnt cruel.

And yes, breeders are to blame. They take horses with bad bloodlines and just breed them for the fun of it, or breed them to be the "next big racehorse/showhorse" that never happens. Sure, i think our rights are very important, but honestly, whats more important? Your rights or a LIVING CREATURE? I dont know, but my concience would tell me that horse is saying its life is more important.

lotzahenz: agree that it is VITAL that the horse processing plants must be re-opened, and I love my horses as much as anyone. There just MUST be a place for unwanted, aged, or rogue horses. If the price of feed keeps climbing, we are going to see many thousands of horses starving, right along with the children who could be eating them in other countries around the world. Don't get me started either...................I could go on forever i must agree it is said but slaughter is the only solution until people stop breeding horses.

mikarod: I completely agree. They need to be reopened. Regulated better but reopened nonetheless! SOMETHING has to be done!
People are turning horses out of their fields onto the roads! It's ridiculous!

the slaughter houses do need to be reported but regulated so that the horse population is under contral. i wish that it did not have to be doing but until the world stops breeding it has to be doing.

Chick_a_dee: PETA are stupid, if we'd learn how to regulate those kill plants effectively, we'd have little issue with keeping horses and other animals from being abused before slaughter, but we're too cheap to do that!
peta does not know what they are doing if peta wants to be doing any thing to help animals help stpo the abuse in animal training and stuff and go help a humane oranztion [sp].

Florida chick: Its not PETA's fault! Blame the real problem, back yard breeders, Fugly breeders, greedy track people, QH breeders... IT goes on and on and on, when the Economy sinks animals suffer, and its all humans fault. i agree but peta is part of the problem.

lorieMN: Florida chick wrote:
Its not PETA's fault! Blame the real problem, back yard breeders, Fugly breeders, greedy track people, QH breeders... IT goes on and on and on, when the Economy sinks animals suffer, and its all humans fault.

you are correct in that,but if PETA hadnt shut down kill plants there would be a place for this unwanted horse to go,.and yes,I knew I would get this reply when I posted this,I dont care,posted it anyway,Peta are not the great wonderful people so many think they are,and you dont have to believe me,do the research from BOTH sides of the fence
you are right on so many things and right know i agree that evry thing you just said is true.
I CAN'T STAND PETA!!!!!!!!

KellyHM: Ok, nice to have a place to get that off my chest. Yes, this is the fault of people who are irresponsible and don't take care of their animals, but at least the meat would be used if we still had the processing plants, instead of letting it rot in the ground while people are hungry and having the horses starving to death.

I'll stop there since I could really get on a roll with what I think about PETA (and organization too).

i agree with you to on this sad but needed problem the pmu horses need a lot of help to ( i hope not to offend any one)but the pmu mares are not needed i think insteed of slaughter they should of worked harder to get the pmu ranches closed instead.

horsechick:Sorry for babbling....
its okay to babbling is okay with me feel free to babble all yuo want.

ChickenWhisperer all those things you mentioned happening at slaughter plants are still happening now. They are happening in everyone's back field because they can't get rid of unwanted horses. They are being left to starve, they are being left without vet care, they are being mistreated, and they are being killed inhumanely by inexperienced people with a gun because it's cheap. They are being crammed in trailers to be hauled even farther across the country to mexico to be slaughtered there instead. Turned loose to fend for themselves and eventually be hit by cars or killed in other ways.

Currently I am training 3 horses for people who know nothing about horses and got them free from bad conditions because the horses had nowhere to go. One is a yearling left in a stall too small to turn around or take more than a few steps forward or back for 5months because he was picked up at auction after being abandoned and the people who got him had no pasture. The other 2 the owner just walked away and left them to starve in the back pasture because he couldn't get rid of them. The rescues are full. I even called states away for a few horses. The only solution right now is to kill them or let them suffer. Then most people seem to think putting them down is wrong compared to leaving them to suffer. That they'll be judged badly for it and in some ways they are right. If you call the vet out to put down a perfectly healthy young horse word will get around and people will wonder why. Some vets will refuse but there are no shelters or rescues that can take in that horse and noone buying. So what do people do? All the things that have been mentioned on this thread. The horses are in no better shape now and no fewer are suffering any less than they were with slaughter houses open. Noone here is saying we should continue to run inhuman slaughterhouses but we do need them. We need properly regulated slaughter houses for all livestock not a complete shutdown of the industry.

What do you do with a dead horse?
1200 lbs. +/-
Your not allowed to bury them. against the law in most states.
Rendering plants used to come and get them for you, (meat wagon) not anymore, they aren't worth anything even to them.
If you have them euthenized it costs quite a bit, then what do you do with body? (go against law and find someplace to bury it.) burn it? pay someone to cremate it for you, (every bodies there to have their hand out and make money off of everyone. Its sickening, how greedy this country has become.)
And I hate to say it, BUT, if its your animal and you willingly send it to a slaughter house , ITS YOUR ANIMAL TO DO WITH WHAT YOU WANT! That is what makes freedom great.

Then you release toxins from being euthenized into the ground as they decompose and release it into water tables...that humans drink. Can you imagine one horse euthanized multiplied by how many die each year or need to be put down?!?!?!

People from other countries and different cultures who eat horse meat are STILL eating horse meat.
To think they aren't or its hurt the overseas business in any way shape or form is pure stupidity

There are countries were a cow is scared, if you kill one you die, can you imagine what they think of us? Or how would we feel if they were to impose their beliefs on us?
I'm waiting for idiots to want to save pigs, goats, sheep, lamb, cows, ---Chickens gasp
wink.png
, ...whats' the difference in slaughtering them? None. at all.

pmu mares,
am not expert on them.
some /most could probably be used for something else if they take care of them there. (as with ALL things, good and bad in everything)
some places sell the babies and they are bred well and nice babies to boot.
I don't know if they can get those hormones another way or not and maybe someone who needs them to live a normal life might disagree with the statement that they aren't needed....

I think for the most part if most people today were alive 100 years ago, or 150 yrs ago.........we wouldn't have made it this far. We would have starved and died lonely a long time ago.......

Last edited:
Are the mods slackin or what?!
tongue.png
I thought PETA posts werent allowed at all. I dont know much about how the horse trade works, so Im not going to speak my piece, but I just had to toss that in. PETA posts dont work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom