Horses being butchered for our consumption? Sold to grocery stores? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
"A federal report issued in June found that local animal welfare organizations reported a spike in investigations for horse neglect and abandonment since 2007. In Colorado, for example, data showed that investigations for horse neglect and abuse increased more than 60 percent — from 975 in 2005 to almost 1,600 in 2009."

I'd rather have them slaughtered to feed people or to go in dog food than be abandoned and neglected. Reopening slaughter houses means jobs and in these times there are plenty of people who would take those jobs in a second. I wouldn't have any issue with eating horse meat or having it sold in the US either.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I would have to examine the meat personally before I made the call on whether I wanted to eat horse or not. I've eaten bear, raccoon, squirrel, rabbit, moose, elk, lamb, goat and probably some others I'm not thinking of so I would probably give it a try. Not going to hold my breath waiting for it at the local Ingles though. As the article stated it would be mostly for export.

However; I am partial to horse hide shoes, and if this gives folks a better market for unwanted horses I'm all for it.

I don't see a problem with horses being processed as food. It is no different (morally) than eating any other animal.
idunno.gif
I personally wouldn't eat it but I am not a big meat eater anyway. I only eat chicken, beef, pork, and turkey, and only certain parts of those. I do not eat seafood either.

Many people have different opinions on this subject (and that is what makes our world go round). For some reason it just seems disturbing to me. I personally, couldn't eat a horse, dog, cat ect. I just think of these animals as pets, not food. I think the same about cows and pigs, but they have been food to me for the longest time and they aren't as bonded to humans as a horse or dog is. See, people usually own cows for their beef or their milk-- not so much pets. And same with pigs. But with horses, they are pretty much all for pets and working the land. That is just my opinion. Some may agree, others may not. And I am okay with that.
wink.png

Personally, I don't feel it's exactly kosher to eat horses. Mainly because of how closely they've been to humans and have played a fundamental role in getting us to were we stand today. Yes, I know - other animals have worked closely with us, gave their lives, but I'm sorry - I just feel it's on a different level.

Yes; many of them are suffering, starving, and not taken care of. Any horse that has to live through this is one too many. But does that not also describe hundreds of thousands of dogs and cats in our country? If we decide that eating horses that have no home and nobody to care for them is how to take care of the problem, why not dogs and cats? I'm sure they are eaten in other countries. And how many hundreds are killed every single day by euthanasia, their bodies discarded and never used? My point - if that's your position then dog and cats that are about to be euthanized should also be slaughtered and their meat sold.

There is nothing good about the way any animal is kept or slaughtered for factory farming. It's not right any time an animal of any species has to suffer... and if things were as they should be, no animal would have to feel pain when it is killed for its meat. I'm not entirely sure that's even possible but I am sure there are better ways to kill them than how they are killed now.

Part of what would help the problem is stopping the breeding of sub-par animals and over-breeding in general. But there's no way that's ever gonna happen, for any animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom