Horses!!

bensteph821

Songster
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Easton Pennsylvania
We got horses!!! YEEHAW! One mexican mustang and a thoroughbred! They are awesome! Any advice, we are new at this!!!
smile.png

Welcome to the Horse World...... Have you ever owned or bored horses? Their is no quick guide to horse ownership, lots and lots of things to go over. To start, where are you keeping them? What feed/ hay are they on? Do you have a vet that does horses already -( #1 thing to do). A farrier for their hoofs, do they have shoes on or are they bear foot? What are their ages? Are they broke to ride?

The rules of the horse:
If it is possible it will happen....
If it is loose they will get caught up in it, if their hoof can fit, they'll be stuck in it, if feed door is open - call the vet, they ate it all
If it is open, they are already threw it
If it is rainy, on a weekend, you are out of town, it's snowing, or it's late at night - that's when you'll need the vet
If it can be broken, they will break it
If they've seen it a hundred times, 101 will still look like the boogy monster on a brisk day.
They have the horrible talent of making a little cut look like a bloody monster movie...

Last edited:
Don't let them step on your chickens.

Seriously, the most gentle horse in the world can cause a lot of damage without meaning it because of their size. So it's critical that you work with them a lot, learn how they communicate, treat them with a healthy respect, get hands on help from experienced horsemen and women.

You can get away without training a cat,
dogs need a little work, the bigger they are, the more they need; sit, stay, just to be polite,
but horses require enough consistent training to be safe, to respect your dominance, to respect your space.

I have two of them. They are a blessing, they are therapeutic, and I love them dearly, but they are a lot of work.

Good luck!

Yea chickenzoo thanks for sharing. That was very cute:) as far as particulars, we have a run in shed for them, we have hay and grain, feed two to three times a day...hay first grain second. Lots of love and snacks in between heehee. We have Ferrier and vet in call. They will both be shoed on fri (we will be usibg them to walk on the road)and there feet checked.. the mustang(siesta) is about 17-18 and thoroughbred(Dancer) is 10. Dancer we got first for me, I am very much a beginner and still a little scared if horses. Turns out she gave me quite a ride. And wouldn't stop. She has some learning to do but she's a good horse lots if energy though. My husband will be working with her. Sooooooo that's where siesta comes in. She reminds of eyore from Winnie the pooh. Real slow but great for me:) she will trot just not for ling and not much energy...
he's great though and perfect for my 10 yo. He was an old kids camp horse so he's great with kids.

Only problem we've been running into is trying to get these two guys to get along...been working with them but siesta wont let dancer eat. We halve to intervene every time. Getting a little better ..has any of you ran into this? We got dancer last wed and siesta sat...

Only three things you need to know:

1. One end costs you money.
2. One end costs you work.
3. All the stuff in between costs you both.

Congrats, though.

Quote:
Our two geldings had a similar issue - one is very submissive, the other very dominant (especially regarding food - he's a Haflinger cross), and we were having a devil of a time getting weight onto the former. They were/are very attached and social with each other, though. I ended up running electric tape between the two of them in the runout - they still share a common water trough (tape above it to keep the Haffy from jumping the gap), but separate stalls. Much mo' better. The QH gets to eat, but they are close by each other.

After a few weeks of the new setup, we noticed that it also affected the way they are when we turn them out together in the pasture every day - The Haffy no longer chases the QH off if he wanders close to him while grazing like he used to.

Ahhhh ok. Thanks. My first thought was just separate them while they ate but hubby didn't want to do that. Might have to. Thanks. ..and like your saying in your one post..funny. they do eat eat and eat..lot o money lol

Back
Top Bottom