Horses

Almost lost my horse to a twisted gut last march, but we gave her some relaxant and waited it out and at about 12:00 am she pooped, one those happiest moments.

You can't wait out a twisted gut because if you don't operate your horse will die within hours of internal bleedings. The chance the gut twists back into it's normal position is very very small, even with a relaxant. An obstruction or gas colic can also be extremely painful for a horse but can be solved with a relaxant or lliquid parafin in most cases. I'm telling you this because if your horse really had a twisted gut and the vet knew that, he/she should have acted differently in my opinion.

Last edited:
She came and told us we would have to put her down, or have a $10,000 surgery. We called my grandpa, because he breeds horses and he's where we got her from, and he said to give her a shot that relaxes the muscles you can't control and see how she does. We also e-mailed another vet and he said that since we gave her the shot we should she how she was doing the next morning and go from there.

If the vet was correct that is way beyond luck, more like a miracle..........
I lost my 25 year old Gelding in 09 to a twisted gut, found him half under the fence, freezing cold and shivering had the vet out asap, and we tried everything either one of us had ever heard of to help him, but after 4 hours, when the strong pain meds were no longer working, we put him down...........I bawled for 3 weeks straight I loved that old man alot............. colic has several forms, from mild to severe, and a twisted gut does not get better without surgery, and even that is no guarantee they can save them even after a 5000 dollar surgery..........if he makes it then he is also more likely to suffer the same fate later on down the road............Kim

I know exactly what you've been through Kim. I even have my geldings name tattooed on my whrist.
When the vets diagnosed the twisted gut, they told me the chances he would survive just the anaesthesia were 15%. The chances he would survive the actual surgery were even smaller.
It was heartbreaking. I was really punching the walls, screaming, crying. Worst day of my life.

I lost my favorite horse of all time on May 5th, 2005 to torsion colic. I knew when I put him on the trailer to take him to the vet that it would be a one-way trip. That horse survived an F5 tornado in 1999 which broke his back, sheared off dorsal processes of his vertebrae, degloved 3 of his cannon bones, punctured clear through his gaskin, and more impaled objects than one could imagine. Through all that, he NEVER ONCE showed any pain. But the day he colicked, he could not stay upright. He was flopping around like a fish on a hook. I never want to go through that again...

But now, since yesterday morning, my 36-year old is suffering from a suspected nephrosplenic entrapment colic. We are hoping we have non-surgically "flipped" it back to it's proper place. Time will tell.... At 36, I am not considering surgery, only euthanasia if it comes to that.

But, I agree, most true twisted guts/torsions do not resolve with simply a "shot". It takes a bit more than that...

I know exactly what you've been through Kim. I even have my geldings name tattooed on my whrist. 
When the vets diagnosed the twisted gut, they told me the chances he would survive just the anaesthesia were 15%. The chances he would survive the actual surgery were even smaller.
It was heartbreaking. I was really punching the walls, screaming, crying. Worst day of my life.  

Yah its a funny thing this life, that we can love our critters so much it affects us months and years later, every November 2nd I bawl most of the day, then 10 days later again because 10 days after
i lost Shadow, i lost my dad...... and seriously i think Shadow was harder than dad..... because i felt so helpless. to save him. Dad had been sick along time, so we knew it was coming soon. Still not easy but expected.
I have lots of tats but none for critters yet plans are drawn up but money is always a factor. I'm currently getting my sleeve finished and after 18 hours in the chair, and 800 bucks later.......Its almost finished at least as far as I had planned too anyway.....1 more peacock to add to fill in some shading then its done for now.....
Sorry about your baby its too hard and God should have given our best friends longer lives so we could have their companionship longer.............Kim

Sounds like we all lost some very special horses. I'd like to think my horse is with my little brother now. I told him to look for my baby brother, just before he died with his head in my lap.
One of our dogs died a year after my horse. It gave me some comfort to know my horse was already waiting for him to take care of him. Because he always was the leader of the heard, taking care of their safety.

Back
Top Bottom