Horses

I have a question for all of you horse owners. I am a beginner, am getting some basic lessons on how to care for, groom, ride for pleasure - nothing more than some basic trail riding lessons. I've wanted a horse my entire life. I finally have the time, the space needed, etc to do it. I'm not sure when I will be ready/feel comfortable enough to purchase one of my own but when I do I wonder...would it be better for me (as a beginner) to get a gelding who is trained and has the experience, or would it not be such a bad idea to get a colt so that I could train it and grow with it as a rider? This way it would know my commands from the start. I've been doing a lot of thinking about this and I wonder what are the pros and cons for a beginner like myself to own a colt vs a gelding who's a little older and already been trained a certain way.

Since you are a first time horse owner you need a horse who is trained in what you want to do. Geldings have a tendency to be more consistent in their temperament. Some mares are moody and unpredictable due to hormonal changes. By colt do you mean a youngster who needs training or an intact male who will grow into a stallion? Definitely stay away from a stallion.

Young horses need a person to teach them manners so they can get along with humans. If you are set on getting a young horse make sure to get a trainer to help you along the way. The most important thing you can remember about horses is the moment you touch your horse you are teaching it something, and you need to make sure that something is good. Young horses are unpredictable. They have regressions that test your patience, and you need to have the knowledge to avoid a wreck.

If you want to get out on the trail and not have to worry about spooks, horse eating monsters, and generally baby sitting your horse, I recommend you get a well trained gelding.

However, if you want to take the journey of finishing a young horse, definitely make sure your health insurance is up to date, and find a trainer to help you with your goals.

Be safe and wear your helmet.

I'm very much enjoying looking at the pictures of horses, and I hope people post more! I'll have to post mine when I get access to my pictures.
I love horses! We just got another horse, beautiful bay roan draft cross. She's great! Thinking of breeding her to a black Percheron and trying for a blue roan baby. Thoughts?

I admit I know nothing about your mare, but I don't think this is a good idea. First, you can't be sure what color the foal will end up being. Second, it's irresponsible to breed just for color. Do you have a specific need for a blue roan foal? Or were you just planning on selling it? In this economy, there are many unwanted horses, and the majority of them started out in life by irresponsible breeding.

Now if you told me that your mare has great breeding, has excellent conformation, and excels at her job, and you found a stallion that also had great breeding, went beyond exceling at his job, and had conformation that complimented your mare, and together they would create a foal that would excel in the specific job you had in mind regardless of color, then I would be more supportive. But without looking at the full picture other than color, you end up with a horse that MAY have a pretty coat, but could have major conformation issues, health issues, and many other surprises. There is little market for a foal like that. And regardless of whether you plan to sell, sometimes life ends up making you end up having to sell.

I'm hope I don't come across the wrong way because I know it's tempting to breed a mare. But it helps to look at the big picture. You mare may be worth breeding, but don't base your stallion choice off color. Base it off of picking a stallion that will compliment your mare, and improve her faults. It's much better to have a plain colored horse with ability, temperment and excellent conformation than it is to have an unusual colored horse that you end up not being able to do anything with.

I do! Have 4 of them . Also make our living with Thoroughbred Racehorses. THey put food on our table, clothe my children, and have bought me my wonderful house! I adore them, and they are by far, my favorite animal on the planet!

At my small farm I have one retired 15 year old off the track Thoroughbred,, my daughter's welsh/thoroughbred 21 year olld show pony, my husbands tennessee walker/spotted saddle horse who is 4, and a 5 year old halflinger mare who is currently a lawn ornament. She is a beauty though!

My handsome prince Thoroughbred
My daughter's beautiful welsh pony
Hubby and his Spotted Saddle Tennessee walker
Our Halflinger
Hubby at work on one of his many winner! I am very proud of him!

Rascal - 36 yr old Morgan/QH. My daughter goofing off Dec 2010 and pretending to ride our Anatolian LGD, Lily...

Khindled Fire, aka Kenny. 6 yr old Arab (recently gelded)

Phantom's Lancer, aka Lancer. 28yr old Arab gelding

Sir Dynamo's Benjamin Echo. My mini that I had to leave with a friend in OK.

You might try the sister site "Backyard Herds". You can also try the "Other Pets and Livestock" section

Back
Top Bottom