Hot Brahma

Jakico

Songster
Nov 28, 2019
My poor Brahma looks so miserable. It’s been getting into the 90’s the past few days and my Brahma looks so hot. Her comb is pale often, although it pinks up when she’s excited. Egg laying is down to about one a week. She’s been panting during the day. She has a nice shady spot she likes in the run where’s she takes dirt baths. I’ve been giving her some frozen berries but I’m gone at work during most the day. Is there any suggestions? Like trimming her big bushy feathers or is that just mean? I hate to think of her being so uncomfortable.

Other than shade and fresh cool water one as well as what you’ve been doing perhaps trying to provide some electrolytes for her such as mixing a pack of sav-a-chick electrolytes into the appropriate amount of water. Or evem a smal wading kiddie pool with some water and maybe a little ice mixed in for them to hop into and cool off.

I have ample shade, cool water sources and electrolytes as well as there’s been a slight breeze and mine still start to pant and get a little hot. But I’ve noticed that’s usually when they get excited like when I come bearing mealworm treats lol

Is there any suggestions?
Get her an 'all day' ice chunk!

Deep all day shade is best but....I don't have much of that.
This has worked very well to keep heat stress/stroke at bay:

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Get her an 'all day' ice chunk!

Deep all day shade is best but....I don't have much of that.
This has worked very well to keep heat stress/stroke at bay:

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full
I love this idea. Thank you. My poor panting birdies and I are going to try it out today

She’s still pretty hot. I think it’s helping but she’s still panting. It’s getting hotter so I think it’s maintaining her and preventing serious heat stroke!
The EL and ice won't stop them panting or even holding their wings out,
but it should keep them moving well enough to keep eating.
I test for lethargy by tossing out a few treats, any bird that doesn't go for the treats needs some special attention.

Back
Top Bottom