Hot Chicks in the Hamptons!

foamspoon

Songster
12 Years
Apr 17, 2007
Hello Group,

Just picked up my first chicks yesterday. I am a little nervous about the first couple of days but they seem to be doing well. I have enclosed some pictures.

A few things I am concerned with.

1. Heat. I think it was a little intense as they were all huddled in the shadow of the water bottle. Now I moved them into the garage with the heating lamp further from the box. It seems to be better.

2. I made a floor out of an old metal screen window. I do not think they like it as much as just the paper towels I had down. Is it just they are not used to it or is this (screen) a bad idea?

Bryan
Long Island, NY

chickens1.jpg

chickens2.jpg

Last edited:
you need to put a 2 or 3in layer of shavings on the screen so it wont bother them to walk on it.

Looks good, but you might make the shavings a little thicker.

A hint to help keep shavings and poop out of the water is to raise the waterer about even with the chicks' backs. As they get bigger, keep raising the height. You can use 2x4 blocks or anything thing else that is flat. I have used an overturned bowl before.

Your babies sure are cute !

My chicks are about a week or so old. how old do they have to be to able to take them out on the grass and run around on a warm sunny day?

Bryan

You can take them out now for a while under supervision. Keep them in an enclosed area or you will never be able to round them up. You would not believe how fast they can skirt around at an early age. LOL

Back
Top Bottom