Hot climate

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hotmamaj, May 20, 2010.

1. hotmamaj

hotmamaj New Egg

May 20, 2010
    Buckeye
    [​IMG] I live in a very HOT climate, I am wondering if my girls can have ice cubes in their water to help keep them cool. They have shade and dirt and a nice breezeway but the tempatue today will be 100..... We will get hotter as the summer approaches (120) Does anyone have any sugestions?

2. crittersitter

crittersitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Westchester County,NY
    Yes they can have ice cubes in the water. Also you can freeze some plastic bottles with water and they will perch or sit near them.Helps to keep them cool. Frozen watermelon cubes are great too!

3. basketmom

basketmom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    I have froze water in bowls, pans, etc...and then pop them out and put them in the run. They love them. I have also froze fruit and yogurt as a outside treat [​IMG]
    Quote:

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I have shade cloth over the tops of thier runs and misters underneath that I can hook up to a hose if it is really hot. I've used it a couple times so far when it hit in the 90's. The chickens really like the misters they run out and get right under them. I only leave them on for a little while here and there so everything doesn't stay too wet.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I was looking at fans online, debating on which one to get for my coop. I saw one (expensive, around $100) that is an outdoor use mister fan. It was pretty cool (ha...literally) and had some good reviews. I think I saw it on the Walmart site (online - not in stores in my area at least).

6. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    [​IMG]

Come see us in the AZ thread.

I use frozen waterjugs and a rubbermaid to make an air conditioned room:
    [​IMG]

I keep 2 jugs in the freezer at all times: put two out on my way to work, switch them when I get home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by