Hot Day in CT for these 8 week olds! Silly pics

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Its 91 here in CT and I know it can be hotter, but, the girls are definitely showing reactions. I am unfamiliar with seeing them with their beaks open. Its scared me so I came to BYC and then did this:
46B7CA66-DB0F-453C-8A7E-FC75EC9C3E22.jpeg

Afterwards, it resulted in the second pic.
I am super new so I am super nervous to them having an issue from the heat. Please someone tell me if its gonna be ok. Its shady in there with an occasional breeze. Honestly, im a nervous Nelly as it is, but justify it b/c they have never experienced heat like this. They remain with the beak open. Is this a concern?? Also, loose stools from the watermelon and ice?? Thank you for your expertise chicken friends.
sincerely,
Nervous Nelly from CT

Attachments

• 474F3BF9-2693-4D41-BB71-DF1FE77175B1.jpeg
    474F3BF9-2693-4D41-BB71-DF1FE77175B1.jpeg
    935.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 2C4BE4D1-E619-4A1E-BBE6-7E264D4759EA.jpeg
    2C4BE4D1-E619-4A1E-BBE6-7E264D4759EA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
I borrowed this from @aart long ago, I don't think she'll mind me sharing:
IMG_20190708_124644885.jpg

I also live in CT, it's icky out! I gave some electrolytes this morning & they have a block of ice in an open water tray so they can drink it or stand in it. Deep shade helps a lot, as does a good dust bath or a deep hole in the dirt to lay in. Sometimes I'll spray their favorite hole with the hose. I'll probably set the fan up in the coop tonight, I hear it's not going to cool down too much.

Beaks open & wings out are normal, just do what you can for them & they'll be fine. :hugs

Looks like you're doing the right things. I suggest buying some save-a-chic electrolytes and give them once a week. @aart has some small batch recipes that I can't seem to find right now. I also mix my ladies crumble with water to an oatmeal consistency and pop it in the freezer to get nice and cold, they love it😉

Looks like you're doing the right things. I suggest buying some save-a-chic electrolytes and give them once a week. @aart has some small batch recipes that I can't seem to find right now. I also mix my ladies crumble with water to an oatmeal consistency and pop it in the freezer to get nice and cold, they love it😉
Thank you so much for your time and expertise! I appreciate you 🐥❤️

I borrowed this from @aart long ago, I don't think she'll mind me sharing:
View attachment 2738745

I also live in CT, it's icky out! I gave some electrolytes this morning & they have a block of ice in an open water tray so they can drink it or stand in it. Deep shade helps a lot, as does a good dust bath or a deep hole in the dirt to lay in. Sometimes I'll spray their favorite hole with the hose. I'll probably set the fan up in the coop tonight, I hear it's not going to cool down too much.

Beaks open & wings out are normal, just do what you can for them & they'll be fine. :hugs
Yep that's the one I was looking for 😉😁

Back
Top Bottom