Hot summers and cold winters

At BDutch - does the new part have a roof? I hope you keep posting, and perhaps a picture. The longer I have chickens the more aware I am of the ventilation issue. I think your birds are telling you something important.

Mrs K

Dear ms K, a late reaction becoeuse I was on hollidays for a few weeks.

But yes, the extension has a roof made with wood (western red cedar ) and about 10% slope.

The roof can be taken off.

Last edited:
BDutch - thank you for sharing. We tend to get so worried about them being warm, we get them damp, when all they really need is a bit of shelter and fresh air. I will be curious and hope you report what they do in the winter, having the choice be the chickens will tell us all something.

Mrs K

I have done some research on this item:

It is easy to make natural ventilation if you make a low opening at one side and a high/big opening at the same of on another side (secure with wire/mesh). This way you get a stream of fresh air.

Be aware that the airstream does not pass your chickens when roosted (draft) and best protect the openings from nasty winds and rainfall.

If the openings are big there is much ventilation. In winter you can close the incoming/low opening and keep one side (partly) open.
Don't close too much, make sure that its not getting humid inside.

Make e.g. sliding windows of plexiglass (against a layer with wire/mesh). Daylight is good for chickens, especially in winter.
A fresh and light coop is not a fine place for lice.

Back
Top Bottom