House Chicken Experiences Needed

OneCuteShasta

Songster
13 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Tropical oHIo
I moved off my farm and sold all my chickens and now I'm missing them. I was thinking of getting a chicken to keep in the house, but I wanted to get opinions from those that have "been there"
big_smile.png
I'll be going with the chicken diapers and it will be a female. I'm not planning on keeping her in a cage except when I'm not home and at night. I was thinking a Jersey Giant or a Dominique. What's your experiences with house chickens? Do the diapers stay on pretty good? Is there the typical "chicken" smell? Should I have two to keep each other company? Should I start with chicks or pullets (I want them to be friendly)? ETC...

My friend has four housechickens 2 silkies and 2 seramas. She has had other breeds during the past 20 years. I do think the smaller breeds are better in terms of not needing large cages etc. Hers free range except for sleeping in their cage or box. She is constantly putting towels or rugs down to cover things and just as constantly cleaning up after them. I would think chicken diapers would make things much easier. Her dog is a small, older one and has had to accept chickens since he was young - he's not thrilled with it but, they co-exist.

Two sounds right so they have company. They are waiting by the door when she comes home and watch tv with her in the evening.They are stealth chickens so she can't have an outdoor coop, and when they are out (one or two at a time) she stays with them. She could be taking an easier route, like having a small fenced area for them surrounded by bushes and maybe the side of the house but is afraid the neighbor cats will get them.

PS her house is kept clean and there is no odor but I am sure she would enjoy them more if she gave in to diapers and wasn't constantly jumping up to clean after them.

I have 3 house chickens right now and I just love them Two of them are full grown LF white leghorns 1 roo and 1 hen. They live downstairs in a xlarge wire dog cage during the night and are left out during the day outside or whatever lol.. Also have a little serama roo thats an inside bird. I'm looking for 1 or two hens for him cause he's sooo lonely lol. Rarely do any of the leghorns go to the bathroom in the house. The serama is getting better as it but he's just easy to clean up after.

The only time I have house chickens is when I absolutely have to- brooding babies and convalescing birds. Each time I have a bird in the house for any extended time I swear it will be the last time. Chickens are not meant to be in the house. Parrots and the like are primarily tree dwellers, so can be kept happy and occupied in the house with their toys and swings and climbing bars. Chickens are primarily ground dwellers and need to be scratching around in the dirt to be truly happy. They cannot do that inside a house. I firmly believe that chickens are not meant to be kept inside. The dust they generate, the ammonia fumes from their waste, the dander and feathers that are constantly being shed... that equates to a great deal of work. And if you are not very vigilant about keeping up on that work then the resulting conditions are not healthy for anyone living in the house.

As having had birds of all varieties in my house at many points in the past, I urge you not to do it.

Good luck.

Quote:
I'm with CMV on this. I've raised chicks in a 55 gallon fish tank, cleaning their cage every 2 or 3 days. and I've had a sick bird in the house that needed daily attention. I'd never have a house chicken because I don't have the time required to properly clean up after it, plus, if you've got small children or grandchildren, there's a ton of health issues. If you haven't got the time to dedicate to training and/or cleaning up after it, & it spends most of its life in a cage, that is not a happy bird.
Like CMV said: chickens are meant to scratch around & play outside. I was always anxious to get the birds outside where they should be. I can't imagine having one running around my house, even a tame one. Not only do you have the mess & smell, but is the bird there to make you feel better, or is it there to have a happy life?
However, if you choose to raise house chickens, I think it'd work best if you got young chicks so that you can "train" them easier to do what you want them to do & so they call you "momma" & are used to being handled.

All I can say is my serama boy has the choice whether to be outside or not. He'd much rather come inside and lay on the couch and preen rather than being outside. Nine out of ten times I open the backdoor for him he comes in and follows me around like a little puppy. He doesn't even want to be near the other birds. He's better than any dog or cat I've ever had. Such a lap chicken! Couldn't imagin life without a house chicken.
Also when people come over they don't even know he's in the house until he clucks or crows. Said they didn't smell a thing!

Last edited:
Having house chickens is a do-able thing. I've been doing it now for almost 2 years! But, they do go outside too! Like someone stated, diapers are a good thing to have. If you miss your girls, you may want to think of getting 2, so that they will have a friend.
thumbsup.gif

In Raising a LARGE number of chickens I do my best to NOT tame them tho some do pull on my heartstrings...but the occasional one takes to me...kinda comes out of the egg tame. Ive had them prefer my company to that of other chickens, chase my truck, jump in my truck and want to live in the house. Like a dog with feathers. Ive given those types a CAGE to roost in IN THE house with some cuddle time....and QUICKLY try to place them as pets to someone who wants a TRUE pet chicken. That being said...it is a VERY self fish thing to NOT let a chicken BE A CHICKEN, but rather to want them to be you "baby" and put them in "poop diapers" so that they can co-exsist in your space. Think of it like this....How would YOU like to live in a chicken pen or free range all day for your food...naked. Do yourself and potential chickens a favor...get a parrot. Chickens are meant to be chickens....not saying they cant still be pets...or sleep inside safely at night, but chickens are not meant to free range a carpet! Let chickens be chickens...then you will have HAPPY WELL ADJUSTED Chickens.
smile.png
Said with the kindest intentions.

I only do the house chicken thing when I have one convalescing and I enjoy having them around when & while they are. But I'm always happy to put them back outside and from what I've seen, while they seem pretty happy & content in the house, they are also always happy to go back out to the flock. I have one in the house right now on 'light duty' recuperating from an injury. It's the kind of injury that requires a warm bath every day for wound care and I'm going to order her a diaper as she's going to be inside for a while. Otherwise, I just keep them in a dog crate. I've noticed the feathers flying all over, especially when I'm blow drying her. Phew, those feathers get everywhere! She's a sweety and likes to sit in my lap when I'm on the computer and hasn't messed on me since the first day, but still, she's not exactly house broken, so there's a lot of extra clean up involved. I suppose if I only had 1 or 2 chickens and no other animals to care for it wouldn't be that much, but I have an entire farm to care for so it's that little extra bit at the end of the day. OOOOPH!

Back
Top Bottom