House Chicken Molting

Eggins' Dad

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 21, 2010
Springfield
My House looks like a pillow fight took place!

Eggin's is right on time with her molting, she's about 15 months old now I would guess.

My question is this:
Being a pet chicken she wears a diaper that my wife sews up for her; that being said I think that it was bothering her so now she's running around naked and I've got my carpet cleaner spray handy.
She's not eating a lot, I can get her to eat...especially baby food (beef!?), and only if I hold her and bring the food near my face, like I was a rooster that found it for her (I think she's in love with me...not sure)
wink.png

Here's my question after that background info: is she walking funny because she's all miserable and itchy? also I'm not rough at all, but I help 'preen' her and remove loose feathers...she really appreciates/enjoys this, but I want to make sure it's ok and healthy....like I said I'm not tugging or plucking any feathers that aren't ready.

I've read on here that dried wheat and extra protein can help speed this along. about how long does this whole uncomfy process take? She wants to go to bed early and doesn't take her dust baths right now (can say as I blame her for that tho)

thanks peeps!

It's going to take about a month. She will be itchy and uncomfortable during most of that time. Once she has the majority of the feathers in the itching should ease up. I view molting about the same as teething in children- uncomfortable but necessary. Think of how beautiful she will look once she has all her new plumage! Good luck to her and you.

Chickens are miserable when they molt. I'm a bit surprised she doesn't mind you touching her. In addition to needing Xtra protein, oil is also important. My worst molter walked around like she was arthritic until I got her some expensive oil molting suplement (from the parrot section of the pet store). It was mostly cod-liver oil. Other old-timers told me I should have just used lard. Anyway she got much better afterwards.

Quote:
A month...yikes, well she's a trooper.

I know! I cant wait to see the new feathers...it seemed like as she grew up from a scrawny baby her colors changed? developed? became more obvious?
She's a mutt so I can totally see new colors in her plumage already.

Thanks!

Quote:
Ah great point, adding oil to her diet would probably help keep her skin more supple for pinfeathers to poke through. I think I would be walking pretty poorly if I was undergoing a similar deal, poor chickies! It gets me down to think of how sensitive chickens are and how wretchedly most are treated...but then I look at my girl and think well here's one that isn't, and I feel better!
big_smile.png

Right now I have her eating some plain organic yogurt, and separately: brewer's yeast mixed with water. This is all in addition to her Layena, occasional cheese bits, beef baby food and of course lots of greens (chard, lettuce, carrot & beet tops) and fresh bugs I dig up outside.
She loves the yogurt...I love the sound of her eating it; chickens really are a Foley Artist's dream.

As for her minding me touching her, I think she is convinced I am the rooster for her. She has laid on three separate occasions in the crook of my arm while I was holding her. She falls asleep on my chest while laying on her back. One of her favorite pastimes is playing video games, she'll cuddle and sleep under my arm while I'm playing. She's really a great friend and gets sad if I don't spend enough time with her...and I work at home!

Thanks again for the tip...oh and Eggins will probably thank you as well once she realizes she has you to thank for the addition of salmon to her diet!

Eggins' Dad :

Ah great point, adding oil to her diet would probably help keep her skin more supple for pinfeathers to poke through.

So after mentioning this to my wife, the family nutritionist, she mentions that while the omegas will help somewhat with the itchiness, it's the large amounts of vitamins A & D that can help.
These vitamins, now Im paraphrasing her here, basically assist with the seasonal light change and potential deficiencies resulting from the molt and the diminished sunlight.​

Hi all!! This post is wonderful advise for me, as my two books I have are a little complicated to understand, then the parts i do understand are just not descriptive enough, my Amerucana is hopelessly molting! Her name is Dora, she is pretty skidish and is the last in line in the pecking order.... Since I've adopted the 4 of my gals, she was in bad shape by feather pecking on the head and face.... She has made a full 180! Now the molting, one of my others did this a couple months ago, I switched up the crumbles to a more protien rich feed and every day they get our veggie and fruit scraps! I've been putting dried cat food in the scratch and they get tons of fresh pulled grass daily, along with the eggs and shells if i have some to spare.... Unfortunately my kitty passed not to long ago, and he was eating baby food due to a broken tail, I'll try this as well... I'm very new to all this still and would love to know anything else i can try... I TRULY ADORE THIS CHICKY, she's just in her own world and I feel like her protector and right now I'm not sure how to 'protect" her...
sad.png
Thanks for all the great info and if there's anything else i can do or try we'd greatly appreciate it all!!! THANK YOU!

clucker's r us :

Hi all!! This post is wonderful advise for me, as my two books I have are a little complicated to understand, then the parts i do understand are just not descriptive enough, my Amerucana is hopelessly molting! Her name is Dora, she is pretty skidish and is the last in line in the pecking order.... Since I've adopted the 4 of my gals, she was in bad shape by feather pecking on the head and face.... She has made a full 180! Now the molting, one of my others did this a couple months ago, I switched up the crumbles to a more protien rich feed and every day they get our veggie and fruit scraps! I've been putting dried cat food in the scratch and they get tons of fresh pulled grass daily, along with the eggs and shells if i have some to spare.... Unfortunately my kitty passed not to long ago, and he was eating baby food due to a broken tail, I'll try this as well... I'm very new to all this still and would love to know anything else i can try... I TRULY ADORE THIS CHICKY, she's just in her own world and I feel like her protector and right now I'm not sure how to 'protect" her...
sad.png
Thanks for all the great info and if there's anything else i can do or try we'd greatly appreciate it all!!! THANK YOU!

Sorry to hear about your kitty
sad.png

Another thing I'm giving my chickie is colloidal silver from Sovereign Silver...it can help with any minor infections.
I think the best thing you can do for her is give lots of love and spend lots of time with her...I know how you feel tho!
smile.png
If she doesn't mind being held I'd recommend sitting on the ground cross-legged and stand her on your thigh and tuck her under your 'wing'. If shes like my girl (and she sounds like she might be) she'll probably nestle down and close her eyes and snap her beak contentedly (what is she doing?) best of luck and Eggins sends Dora her love!
D.gif

I tried yesterday to have her sit with me, but like i said she's pretty skidish.... I'll try today when i get back from dropping my boys off at school, and keep the dogs in... i'll look to see where i can get the stuff you suggested.... i kept her in the coop this am, and let the other ladies out and gave them all scrambled eggs with their shells..... keep my head up and fingers crossed....Thank you for your condolences on my kitty!! He was the Best!!! Thanks for somemore great advice!!
big_smile.png

one more thing we had the kitty on a supplement called jungle kitty...... do you think i could feed it to the chickens in small amounts??? here's some info i found off the site about it..... i'll see if i can find the ingrediences on the net, if not i'll type em off the can itself!! THANKS AGAIN!!

All-Natural Feline Life Extension Formula to help your cat live better, longer. The ability to digest protein declines with age leading to muscle-wasting which makes cats old before their time. The digestive enzymes plus new ultra-digestible protein maximizes utilization of L-Taurine and other key amino acids to support muscle status. Powerful antioxidants (including SAMe (S-adenosylmethionine)) helps promote renal health. Full range of probiotics to support bowel and urinary tract health. Omega 3 fatty acids help to prevent cancer and cataracts and maintain healthy joints, skin and coat.

Back
Top Bottom