Housing a broody hen?

salunra

Songster
9 Years
Nov 5, 2010
Cincinnati
A have a sebright who seems pretty serious about being broody, so I am thinking about giving her some eggs. But I am not sure the best way to go about housing her?

i am assuming you need to remove her from the flock, but what are some ideas as a good, easy set up for a broody hen?

thanks!

You don't need to remove her but just section her off into her own area so that she is still visible to the rest of the flock. I've heard that if you do it this way it also it's easier for her to keep her place in the pecking order and not have to completely reestablish it if she were completely removed. I have a small section blocked off in my coop that has a nesting box and small chick feeders and waterer. It's only about 3 feet by 5 feet, room for the chicken to stretch her legs. I haven't used it yet since I just got it up but it's there just in case. I'm really hoping someone goes broody soon. Around hatch time I will also add a heat lamp just in case. Make sure the nesting box is down low that way during hatchtime there won't be accidental deaths from chicks falling out. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom