Hova-Bator 1602n and temp issues

I know this is an old(ish) thread, but I have to chime in. I have a Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance that's been my primary incubator. I added a Hova-Bator 1602N recently as a hatcher so I could have the flexibility to stagger hatches and to keep my primary incubator cleaner. From the get-go, the HB 1602N was a ridiculous hassle to try to keep the temperature steady in. It would wildly swing from too low to too high with even minor adjustments. I think the fluctuations were definitely a factor in the unusually low hatch rate I had for the duck eggs I put in the HB 1602N at lockdown. After that, I promptly returned the HB 1602N (it was lucky to still be in one piece at that point!) and bought a HB 1588 to use as an incubator and hatcher - it performs as expected, unlike the 1602N.

Hi, I'm using a 1602N for the first time. Can you tell me what you didn't like about yours? Since it's my first experience with an incubator, I don't know how much or how little I should have to mess with it. I do adjust it at least 3x per day to stay at 99.5.

My husband bought a hova-bator 1602n second hand, and left it to me to try and figure out. It came with no instructions or manual, and I don't even know if all of the pieces are there. I've got the incubator, the water tray and piece of mesh for the bottom. The lid has the thermostat (no fan, but I believe this model doesn't come with a fan). It also came with an egg turner. My research tells me that there should be some red vent plugs in the top that aren't here....idk what else may be missing.

So.....sigh. It's been plugged in for about 24 hours now. It's in a sturdy, safe place with a pretty consistent room temperature and out of drafts. The humidity in the room is about 40%, and I think that if I can get the temperature to settle the humidity will be somewhat easy to control. The temperature is KILLING me though. I'm hoping someone might have some tricks or tips for getting this model to work....or can tell me if we got shafted in buying it used.

It heats up just fine....better than fine in fact. This morning it was over 110* degrees in it. I turned the little knob thing on top to lower the temp, and when I checked it two hours later the light was off, and the temp was 80*. So I turned it back up, slowly, until the light turned back on, then left it. An hour later, 105*. Adjusting it down, and the light goes off. So I did the on/off/on/off thing a few times until I hit the 'sweet spot' - the lowest I could turn it but still have the light on. Checked it, about 102*....checked again, back to 105*. Turned it down, light went off. And so on.

I'm ready to drop kick the ****** thing out the ****** window.

Help? Anyone? I kept a dozen eggs out of the fridge when I collected yesterday, and they're on the kitchen table, waiting to go in. However, I have no intentions of putting anything in until I can get the temp stable for at least 24 hours. Anyone want to help a newbie to the incubator? So far, easier to just let my girls do it, lol!
I have had the exact experience. Got an older model 1602n second hand. No instructions. Did the temperature up/down dance. A week later I think I finally got it dialed in. I found that the thing shuts off, drops about 1 degree, heats up, shuts off, clims a degree. I spent 1 full day keeping a log of the readings. I was missing the plastic tray and a vent cap so I used a little red thimble for the cap. They don't make that tray any longer as the one I have is so old. I bout a digital thermometer with humidity reading that is made for this model. The probe goes in the vent hole. Today I try it out. Wish me luck. Good luck to you as well.

I bought a new 1602n hova-bator off Ebay. It took me a while to adjust the temperature just right and the humidity was between 50-55. It was stable for 24 hours (with an egg turner in place) when I put the eggs in. About a week and a half later the humidity dropped to about 20% and I added more water. The temperature suddenly dropped to about 93F and I had to fine tune it all over again. Then the lock down period started yesterday, so I removed the egg turner and added hot water to bring the humidity up to 70-80%. The temperatue suddenly plunged to 83F! It's taken me 24 hours to get it back between 99-100F. I am so pissed I'm ready to chuck the thing in the garbage!

Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom