Hovabator 1602

mlove

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
tx
I have the Hovabator 1602 (last year I used it to hatch lizard eggs) and was wondering what my chances are of incubating silkie eggs using it when I hand turn the eggs? I only want a few more chicks and me and my family would love the experience of watching the hatching process. Also, how many eggs should I purchase if I want 3-4 more chicks?

If you want 4 chicks, and the eggs are shipped, then get 8-10 eggs.

As long as you turn them three times a day and monitor the temp & humidity, you should be fine.

I used the same incu but never had very good success with it. The first hatch was my best 7 out of 13. Perhaps the mistake was placement. I've since learned to place the incu in a room with a steady temp betwn 70-80. I now have a Genesis 1588 as the 1602N was a loaner.
So I suggest.
1. a room w/o drafts and heavy traffic. temp betwn 70-80*
2. humidity 35 for the first 15 days.
3. raise humidity to 55 day 16
4. raise it again to 65 on day 19, leave it there till hatch.

You can always give away the extras so a few won't hurt.

The 1602 is very tempermental about temperature fluctuations. I had horrible hatches in mine all due to temp spikes. Humidity wasn't a problem, but I couldn't keep the temperatures constant. Part of the problem was that the house temps fluctuated and the incubator just couldn't handle it. When the house air conditioning was on it worked okay. I think the best I got was about 30% on shipped. Hatch rates were higher on my own eggs.

Just keep your eyes on it and it will likely be okay.

It's suggested a room temp of 70-80 and not in a heavy traffic area. No opening and closing the door type thing. Gvie this a try and see if your temp stablizes.

Thanks for all of the advice.
big_smile.png
I did notice that I was always having to adjust my temps when I used it last year. I'll try a more stable room with the chicken eggs.

My husband does not really want me getting more chicks but if it's educational for my sons then it's a totally different thing right?
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom