How are Border Collies for pets and living with chickens

I have had border collies all my life and have a brown and white one now. They are absolutely the BEST dogs ever. Smart, loyal, affectionate, and athletic.
He doesn't even look at the chickens and they run around the yard together all the time. All he wants to chase are the squirrels. My little aussie loves to follow the girls around and annoy them though..lol
44332_506_sydney_street_020.jpg

44332_kids_and_chickens_055.jpg

44332_kids_and_chickens_076.jpg

44332_kids_and_chickens_049.jpg

Quote:
Great to hear about how well BC's behave. your dog has some great coloring! that was the color of my puppies dad.

I have a friend who raises show border collies and shelties. They're horrible dogs. You can't hear yourself think from the constant barking, they're always figuring out how to unlatch their pens, and since she doesn't spend enough time with each one to give it all the attention it requires, they're constantly unsatisfied and bored. There are some border collie and sheltie breeders who have their vets surgically sever their breeding dogs' vocal chords (not my friend, but others she knows).
If you get a border collie, get a pup from someone who has the mother dog working on his farm, not a backyard puppy breeder. Watch how the mother dog works with the other animals and kids in her care. These ultra-smart dogs need you to spend a LOT of time training them, but the end result is an amazing animal.

My daughter in law has an Australian Blue Heeler, which is another type of herding dog. He herds my chickens into a small area, then sits and watches them. She's spent the past 2 years training him, and he's the best dog I've known.

There was a book published about 15 years ago called "A Shepherd's View of the Lord's Prayer" (I think that was the title), about a working shepherd on Vancouver Island, BC Canada who adopted some lady's border collie which was about to be destroyed because it was bored, tearing up things and running away all the time. He adopted this dog and gave it a purpose learning to herd sheep. It's a wonderful book.

Quote:
Roxy comes from a thats where I got my dog and how I fell in love with BC's I had dropped off my rooster and they had 5 adult dogs that we freindly and playful. I visited the ranch several times and rarely heard these dogs bark . If Anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area (specifically east bay) is interested in a place to buy or donate roosters or want a BC they should check out Hosanna Boys Ranch http://www.ranchohosanna.com/home.html

I
have no doubts my family is going to keep our dog well exersiced and entertained

My Border Collies--Buddy and Sugar have accepted the chicks as family!
They're excited when we go to the coop--only because it's another opportunity for them to try to get us to play ball with them
smile.png

64943_xxx2.jpg

64943_xxx6.jpg

My BC is great with my chickens and geese. Very protective of them. Won't let our other dog near them -- chases away raccoons, possums -- barks at the garbage can, UPS guy, any unusual objects, parked cars, garbage cans, garbage bags -- ANY perceived threat. And when my chickens run into the bamboo and I can't get them, she herds them to me.

It DID take a few weeks to get her past the prey-drive though. So don't expect to be able to just let your BC off leash immediately with them. Now, I let her stay outside with my birds and she does just fine.

i had a border collie for years, and second best dog ive seen, and best ive seen at herding everything from field mice, chickens, and even other stray dogs/cats, to horses and cattle. i now have a rough collie pup, who is alot calmer and not an incessant workaholic completely yet, but will still stare down even a pit bull, livestock, or even people who he perceives to threaten the neighborhood children, or my livestock. on the flip side, id get alot of tough and enticing chew toys like nylabone versions and stuff, as i had toys designed for pitbulls i had for years, they didnt destroy most, or even touch some, but wen had that border collie pup she tore through them like butter in hours to days at most, till put her in herding training. started with chickens , as she instinctively would round up neighbor's newly bought large herd of sheep that were getting out everyday and wandering all over, and he was upset my dog would herd them into the pen and hold them till someone closed them in. he had one of those huge mean (supposedly), Pyrenees to guard sheep, but it would run off or just get herded up right with the sheep.

so yes they definately need something to do, or they will eat through your wall and dig up and under everyhting, definately not a non go getter family pet. they also are a bit nippie, but not like most herders, but mine never mouthed children, just stubborn horses and cattle, and never left marks, just would mostly show and snap jaws together to get the loud point across, as intruders found out a couple times. though she could have attacked them and showed no fear and seriousness, she never bit. if allowed to be taught to patrol, chew, fetch, herd, or do tracking/scent work, they are the best cuddler/snugglers, just will start back up as soon as someone moves, only wanting to eat (though seen some emotionally/mentally stunted ones eat as much as any other chow hound or more out of boredom) drink or rest, when everything is completely calm. i like to teach my dogs not to bark from when first get them if young, as it just solves so many problems, unless allowed and taught/encouraged to bark only when herding and guarding.

good luck, they are very worthwhile dogs, and even the word collie means "usefull", and they will teach you alot and what you need to work on and get active in if needed more.

My grandfather always had border collies and chickens and never had any problems. His dogs were top notch and well trained though. As for pets, I've owned one and it was the best dog I've ever had.

OK I have a question......how would one train a puppy? Crate them in the chicken pen with the chickens? wondering if they would get bored crated with them all the time though? How long would you say it would take for them to be in with the chickens before you could turn them out with the chickens when they free ranged?

Roxy is soooo cute...We found a Pyrenees/collie/Anatolian shepherd puppy for sale, but there is somebody else in line for him first...if they fall through, do y'all think that that mix would be good to "Gaurd" our 150 chickens? Does the gender change their guarding ability and insticts?

Back
Top Bottom