How are Border Collies for pets and living with chickens

Pics
I've never owned a border collie, but I've seen a LOT of border collies and border collie mixes euthanized at animal control due to uncontrollable behavioral issues, usually stemming from lack of working dog related stimulation and a lack of understanding on the owner's part about what such a specialized breed of dog needs. I've seen a lot of them get put down due to lack of training.

I personally wouldn't own a border collie unless I actually had animals that needed daily herding, because every one I've encountered (either as someone's backyard pet or at the shelter) has been extremely loud and neurotic. The ones in the shelter also seemed prone to aggression as well. Very high-strung dogs. Beautiful but not for everybody.

Roxy is soooo cute...We found a Pyrenees/collie/Anatolian shepherd puppy for sale, but there is somebody else in line for him first...if they fall through, do y'all think that that mix would be good to "Gaurd" our 150 chickens? Does the gender change their guarding ability and insticts?
Don't see why not. I have two Border Collie/Pyrenees mix pups. They are very good dogs, but need extra training for jumping up. My female especially likes to jump up and give you kisses on the mouth. She also nipped more early on, but was easily broken of that. They have been trained to stay on the property, and are doing well with that, but I'm still putting up a fence so they can stay out around the clock. Very mindful dogs if you treat them well and are consistent. They don't respond well to hitting and will bite back or be very sullen. They are great with my kids, besides the occasional jumping up when they have been cooped up. I did get them mixed because I wanted them to be a larger dog and a little more laid back. Worked out for me anyway. The female is more border collie-ish, the male more pyrenees. They are from working dogs, not a designer mix.

Last edited:
Resized_20190420_120551.jpeg

They are awesome dogs. The male is perpetually happy, and so willing to please, but wants to try to head off more. Just got em fixed and it seems to have helped that. The female is very mindful. The male is 75 lbs and the female 65 lbs. I was worried about the wandering tendencies of LGD's as well, and the hyperactivity of Border Collies, but I wanted a Border Collie so bad. I'm quite happy with them. They do play rough with each other since puppies, but that's why I got two, so they could have company.
Oh wow! They sound wonderful.

20190131_160345.jpg

I got first picks of the litter, drove three hours each way to the middle of nowhere. He came barreling up to me and my oldest right away, just a little bear, and she was just the sweetest little thing my wife couldn't put her down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom