How are Border Collies for pets and living with chickens

You will have to train your dog that chickens are his herd to protect and not eat. I would think with children that age the dog would get plenty of interaction and excercise. The best thing about BC's is that they want to please you. Its your job to show them what you want. Great family dogs!!!

Thanks for all the great advice, its been very helpful. I'd like to know more about what people are telling me about keeping the dog active and giving him a job to do. I hope to have the dog watch chickens and prevent predators in my Yard as well as play alot with the kids, I'll get him into catching frizbees as well. There will be times when Im at work and kids are at school that the dog will be on his own in the back yard. my wife and I work at home so we can visit and play with him often throughout the day but there will be times we are going to be busy as well.

It sounds like you have a plan. You might think on obident training. I would think twice @ leaving him/her in house unsupervised in the begining. I lost alot of furniture, pillows and also hickory hardwood flooring (yep, she was able to do this,chewed right thru the flooring) now she is the sweetest,smartest dog I have ever had and we love her so much. She is the reason I got into chickens and I didn't even have to train her how to herd it was a very natural instinct on her part. You never know, you might become as much in love with this breed as myself. Please keep us posted as what kind of BC you get would love to know.

It all depends on how you integrate and train it. Border Collies must have a job and are very active and entergetic. They are very friendly and loyal. They work hard and love companionship and live to work and please their owner. I can not stress enough that they must have a job and good training or they will get bored and cause problems but that is almost any dog.

Boy I sure do agree with you cowboy colby. I learned the hard way. Got a BC then did the research after much hardache and destruction now I think she is the best. They really need to be in the right enviroment . I guess I keep posting this because I see the 1000,000's of dollar damage she cost me and it was because i did not do my research and wasn't meeting her needs.

I have had Austrailan Shepherds, with temperments much like BC's and they are active phsyco dogs. Bear in mind that it is a puppy and will take up to 2 years to settle down and be the dog you want it to be. Until then, be patient but firm and always be consistent. And don't forget to PLAY!!!!!

I have a question and a problem! We have a Border Collie and I recently got some guineas. So far he has killed two. He wants to herd them around and when they don't do what he wants them to do he bites them and kills them, not meaning to. He bit two on the head and killed both of them. I got an air soft gun and shot him with it when he tryed to mess with the guineas, but it didn't really work! Could somebody please help!

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

I have a question and a problem! We have a Border Collie and I recently got some guineas. So far he has killed two. He wants to herd them around and when they don't do what he wants them to do he bites them and kills them, not meaning to. He bit two on the head and killed both of them. I got an air soft gun and shot him with it when he tryed to mess with the guineas, but it didn't really work! Could somebody please help!

It is possible that you could pen him up next to the Guineas? I don't know because our BC's have always been sweet to the chickens.​

I stay with my BC when she is herding. she tried a couple of times to nip them when they didn't move like she wanted them to, so I taught her NO MOUTH!! command now she does not nip at them. I hope this works for you.

I have border collies, several, in fact, and would not trust them unsupervised with the birds. I wouldn't trust them unsupervised with any sort of livestock and they all have had several years of sheepdog training and a regular herding job. My dogs are crated in the house when I am away from home, and stay in a fenced yard when they are not being worked or trained when I am home. Border collies can be a wonderful family/farm dog, or they can be your worst nightmare around kids, livestock, etc. They are very prone to developing obsessive behaviors, particularly while young, and their bad behaviors are almost impossible to break. A border collie pup is a lot of work and requires a large commitment to training. They are not easy dogs to live with.

If the OP is committed to owning one, then I would check put getting an older dog from BC rescue groups. Many can be found on petfinder.org. That way you can evaluate an adult dog to see if it fits your needs. There are also wonder BC mixes that can be found that may work out perfectly for your situation. Good luck with your search.

To Miss Fully Puffy: A border collie that is working on its own is a nuisance at best and a menace at worst. The dog that is working the guineas needs a firm correction to stop the behavior IMMEDIATELY! Do not make the mistake and allow the dog to "work" your birds, kids, etc., because it looks cute and you think the dog is getting some fulfillment out of the behavior. All herding work should be done at your request and under your command. If not, you are allowing the dog to develop bad habits that are almost impossible to break.

The suggestion to pen the dog next to the guineas would only build up frustration in the dog and be counter productive to your needs. Bambi is on the right tract; correct the dog when it is doing something inappropriate. Be firm enough to make an impression to stop that nonsense.

Good luck,

Wendy

Back
Top Bottom