How bad is the H1N1?

They gave me Tamiflu but I can't afford it - $50 for five days!!! Oh well... I will recover. This is not something I recommend for anyone, though I have not been hit as hard with it as others. Just fever, cough, congestion, massive headache, body aching. Very little vomiting.

Quote:
While I agree with you that antibiotics are very over-prescribed and it has created resistant bacteria, I think that I do need to point out that pneumonia can be either viral or bacterial. Antibiotics only work on bacterial infections. I think that the majority of the pneumonia cases associated with H1N1 are viral, rendering antibiotics useless in treating it. Take antibacterial soaps/alchohol based hand sanitizers. Alchohol actually encourages cold viruses to grow, it doesn't kill it. Where as good old soap and water while vigorously rubbing your hands will do the trick for both.

Quote:
As silkiechicken already explained, vaccines work by exposing you to a low dose of the virus (either live or dead). This triggers your body to produce its own natural antibodies to it without enough exposure to the virus to make you as ill as you would be with full exposure to the live virus.

You also mentioned chronic fatigue as being associated with vaccines, ironically the new research finds that there is a virus associated with it. This was on a recent science Friday, I'll hunt around for a link. Of course it's still in the beginning phases of this course of research, but it's still a pretty interesting finding.

I think the hand sanitizers are effective. What they found is that they are making cheaper versions that contain less alcohol. They must be 60-95% alcohol to be effective.

Quote:
As silkiechicken already explained, vaccines work by exposing you to a low dose of the virus (either live or dead). This triggers your body to produce its own natural antibodies to it without enough exposure to the virus to make you as ill as you would be with full exposure to the live virus.

One of my friends is a chiropractor, and we had a conversation this summer about this very topic. We weren't able to get very in depth, and I need to research much more, but I remember something she said about the immune system. There are 2 kinds of immune responses (that we know of) based on the body's T-helper cells, the ones that fight infection. One kind is the result of natural immunity, or that which we acquire by contracting an illness and healing. Another kind is that provided by vaccines, which usually doesn't prove lasting (thus the need for boosters.)
The thing my friend told me that really intrigued me was the way the human body reacts to these different types of immune response. The response created by a vaccine puts the body into a state of "hyper-alert" whereas the natural immune response does not. The hyper-alert state wears down the body and it's natural defenses. Following the recommended schedule, a child receives somewhere around 36 doses of vaccines by age 5, I believe. It makes sense, then, that so many people have poor immune systems despite all the vaccines readily given.

Quote:
You are right, they have been found effective for most viruses at the higher alcohol percentages. That'll show me to post without thoroughly vetting. The info I read concerned the lower alcohol percentages and I didn't realize it.

Debiraymond - sorry you are ill, I hope you feel better soon. I know it's nearly impossible as the Mom, but I hope you are getting some rest.

Quote:
Very well said.
clap.gif

It is nice to read that quite a few people here are not falling for this latest in the long list of fear campaigns. Anyone remeber Ebola?The bird flu? More people die from the common cold each year than this H1N1. Just another wave of needless worry.

I wonder what they are trying to hide-you know, the economy may (or may not) be turning around, nobody seems very interested in the completion of the dual wars/occupancies that we are engaged in, so let's get people worried about something so they don't start asking questions. It is the leading story on all (Clear Channel owned) nightly news programs. Makes you wonder....

I am a nurse, and they are starting to hint at "mandatory vaccinations". No freaking way!!!!!
somad.gif
I don't catch things at work in the hospital the old fashioned way (all of the things you mentioned-especially stop poisoning yourself with the "stuff" they add to food these days-just disgusting). I never get sick.

We have a joke in the health care field. We don't catch things because we exposed to so much so we build up ridiculous levels of immunity.

But occasionally our immune systems jump out of our bodies and attack small mammals in the back yard.
wink.png

Last edited:
My niece's baby had it. He was 8 months old and unusually small for that age; he just didn't grow like her other babies. Anyway, he got sick, threw up all night and they got him to the hospital the next morning. He was so weak he didn't make a sound or respond when they inserted IV's! There two negative H1N1 tests, but the doctor still thought that's what it was because there was no other flu in the area at that time. She treated him with Tamiflu and he responded very well. We were so concerned, but he came home in a few days and is fine.

Perhaps some of you saw a news clip about a 20-year-old Ohio woman who became ill while she was 7 months pregnant. She was sent home from the emergency room, but began to have trouble breathing and was admitted to the hospital. Her father begged the doctors to administer Tamiflu, but they refused because she had two negative H1N1 tests. Tamiflu works when administered early, of course. She died a week after they took the baby out.

I'm so glad my niece's doctor took the right approach. I'm 47, have never had a flu shot and have had the flu once in my life that I remember.

Last edited:
My kids just came home with a notice that their school will have the health department giving vaccines on 11-11-09.I called to see if they knew if it was the shot or mist being given.They don't know.I have been reading the FDA/CDC and drug company web pages on the vaccines being given.

I see that for the mist there is a higher risk of transfer(of the vaccine virus) in the first seven day,but it can last for up to 21 days.This is why some hospitals are only using the shot for staff,so they won't transfer the vaccine virus to sick patients. Also, the insert warning and adverse event section is going by the history of the FLUMIST vaccine not the H1N1 mist vaccine.

Transfer is not considered a big deal.It is a way to vaccinate those who did not get the vaccine directly.I remember the same was stated in the OPV (oral polio virus)vaccine insert when that vaccine was still in wide use.

I am not very happy about the kids being in class with many others(staff are getting it too) right after vacciantion. Then ofcourse the increased exposure for that first month.I hope more get the shot,but the county seems to be pushing the live virus vaccine.

I also wonder how the health department is going to watch over the staff,students,parents,and siblings.I read the protocol is to have emergency equipment on hand,and to watch a patient for reactions for atleast 20 minutes. I doubt they will even bother.Atleast they are not vaccinating kids unless the parent is there.The parents can keep an eye on things.

Good health for all!

Back
Top Bottom