How Best to Plant My Little Avocado Sapling?

orloffer

Crowing
Jun 10, 2020
SF Bay Area, CA
A while back I submerged an avocado pit in water in a jam jar to see if it would grow. It took a long time, but finally it did, and now the plant is almost too big for the jam jar! :celebrate I want to plant it soon so that the roots have the space they need to grow. Being a complete novice at gardening, I have many questions about how best to plant and care for this avocado sapling. Is there a certain type of pot, pot size, or soil type I should consider? How much light will it need, and how often should I water it? Should I worry that anything is going to eat it? The plant itself (not including roots) is about 15 inches tall, and I have attached a picture of it below. Thank you all in advance!
Avocado Plant.jpg

A while back I submerged an avocado pit in water in a jam jar to see if it would grow. It took a long time, but finally it did, and now the plant is almost too big for the jam jar! :celebrate I want to plant it soon so that the roots have the space they need to grow. Being a complete novice at gardening, I have many questions about how best to plant and care for this avocado sapling. Is there a certain type of pot, pot size, or soil type I should consider? How much light will it need, and how often should I water it? Should I worry that anything is going to eat it? The plant itself (not including roots) is about 15 inches tall, and I have attached a picture of it below. Thank you all in advance!
View attachment 2353731
I have 8 or 9 plants kinda started this way.

I think they are only two years old now. I had more before these 8 or 9, that were a few years old but I left them outside and they froze one year.

Anyways...my plants live in dirt in pots outside.

I'll get pictures tomorrow for you.

I'd move it outside, in dirt, if I were you.

I have one growing in my mulched clay soil in full sunlight. I started the seed back in February. But the small dwarf deer got the leaves it's growing back. I also throw chicken poop around it.

Edited: If your gonna keep it in a pot, use outdoor potting soil it drains well. After planting slowly let it get use to full sun, 2 hours for a week.

Last edited:
Wow, that's awesome! How exactly did you submerge it? I'd love to try that. Will it actually produce avocados? Is there any chance of it growing in a cold climate? It could be indoors.
Here is a nice video that explains how to get started. It is quite simple:

I did a bit of research and found an entire host of videos on caring for avocado plants! I suppose one can make it as complicated as they wish to:

How to grow avocados - long video:
How to water an avocado plant:
Root rot information:
Saving a tree from root rot:
What soil to use?:
How to plant an avocado sapling in soil:
Another one:
How to make a soil mixture for avocado plants:
How to prune an avocado plant:
How to get them used to sunlight:
How to graft them:
Life cycle of an avocado tree:

I have 8 or 9 plants kinda started this way.

I think they are only two years old now. I had more before these 8 or 9, that were a few years old but I left them outside and they froze one year.

Anyways...my plants live in dirt in pots outside.

I'll get pictures tomorrow for you.

I'd move it outside, in dirt, if I were you.
Thank you! What kind of soil do you use?

I put the plant in potting soil after watching several videos on how to do so. They recommend blends of potting soil, perlite, peat moss, etc, but I do not have those things and am not in a position to get them. Apparently avocados are subject to root rot, and need well-draining soil. I may have kept mine in water too long, because I saw a bit of mold on the ends of some of the roots, and the leaves were beginning to show signs of a lack of proper nutrients. They can also be disturbed by sudden changes from switching to a new environment. I am hoping it will do okay, though! :fl

Wow, that's awesome! How exactly did you submerge it? I'd love to try that. Will it actually produce avocados? Is there any chance of it growing in a cold climate? It could be indoors.

Back
Top Bottom