How best to proceed with sick hen

tropicalpalmtree

Hatching
Mar 5, 2022
Our ex battery rescue hen bob has been poorly for about 2 weeks. She had raspy (but not laboured) breathing so the vet gave us antibiotics and a tablet penicillin type drug to treat a suspected respiratory infection. It was only about a day after she started acting lame that i noticed so i think we caught it very early.

She is very immobile and regularly has her eyes closed. She will eat still without the need for hand feeding in small quantities (i managed to have her eat a slice of bread last night with encouragement) but generally she doesn't want to eat or drink by herself. Her breathing is still quite fast but she isn't struggling for air or anything. With all of our hens its fight till the end and i really don't want to give up on her. The vet said if the antibiotics didn't work to PTS but i really want to give her a chance, but i'm worried i am putting her through unnecessary suffering. We've had far sicker hens in the past that recovered but i don't think any had respiratory diseases.

Along with her medication, i've been giving her critical care formula everyday.

What should i do? Any other avenues i should persue to help her?

Photo of my bob from 2 days ago when i brought her inside for some TLC

352733965_231991029579701_4306391579048665394_n.jpg

Last edited:
You could carefully feel her lower belly to see if it is bloated, hard or rather like a water filled balloon.

While ascites/water belly is just a symptom of underlying severe illness, rescue commercial layers very often suffer from egg yolk peritonitis or other issues of the reproductive system including cancer, kidney or liver failure etc.

In case it is water belly that you feel, she might be able to breathe better after draining some of the accumulated liquid. This is a video on how to do it:

Does she lay/is she laying? Could it be something to do with that? I’m thinking egg-bound or EYP.

I always suspect worms whenever my chickens are poorly. Does she have access to the dirt and do you worm her at all?

Lastly what are her droppings like? Sometimes that can give you clues. In the picture she looks pretty healthy, her comb colour/eyes/feathers all look great.

Check her over for lice/mites and check her feet/leg scales too.

You could carefully feel her lower belly to see if it is bloated, hard or rather like a water filled balloon.

While ascites/water belly is just a symptom of underlying severe illness, rescue commercial layers very often suffer from egg yolk peritonitis or other issues of the reproductive system including cancer, kidney or liver failure etc.

In case it is water belly that you feel, she might be able to breathe better after draining some of the accumulated liquid. This is a video on how to do it:

She is bloated. The vet said this was probably swelling from not moving but i have suspected from the start it could be water belly. I was really hoping its not as we've lost a chicken to it before.

Does she lay/is she laying? Could it be something to do with that? I’m thinking egg-bound or EYP.

I always suspect worms whenever my chickens are poorly. Does she have access to the dirt and do you worm her at all?

Lastly what are her droppings like? Sometimes that can give you clues. In the picture she looks pretty healthy, her comb colour/eyes/feathers all look great.

Check her over for lice/mites and check her feet/leg scales too.
We have treated her for mites with Diatomaceous earth and she is all clear now. I've also been adding natural wormer to her food with the Critical care formula.

It could be EYP :( The vet said she wasn't egg bound.

She is bloated. The vet said this was probably swelling from not moving but i have suspected from the start it could be water belly. I was really hoping its not as we've lost a chicken to it before.
Sadly, ex battery hens are prone to this condition and apart from draining her every time you notice her becoming short of breath and uncomfortabel, there is not much you can do.
Keep her as comfortable as possible with a close eye on her so you will not miss when it is time to help her out of her misery.

Back
Top Bottom