How big are your pop doors.

Azriel

Songster
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Montana
Does 12wx14h sound about right, or should it be bigger. I've got some big Orp boys. Would 14x14 or 14x16 be better.

Last edited:
Mine is 8"wide and 12" tall. I have three RIRs and three PRs. They have no trouble at all accessing the coop. You should keep it to a minimum in a colder climate

Last edited:
My pop door is 10X14. I was somewhat apprehensive with the size wondering if the rooster could fit. That was 4 months ago. Tuesday night one of the sexlinks went up the ramp to go to roost and just stood in the door opening. Well Bob, the GLW rooster was ready to go in also. Ebony wouldn't move from the door so Bob just squeezed in between her and the other side of the door. So I know two can fit in a 10 inch space even if one of them is a 10 lb rooster.
smile.png

Quote:
Yep, chickens can squeeze into a remarkably tiny space. Mine is even smaller than this. I didn't measure it. I just cut a hole. Even my large BR cockerel who is bigger than our huge BO girl can fit through easily.

I was going to make my pop door 12'w x 15'h. I checked out the sizes of automatic doors, and saw one that comes in 3 sizes. Even tho I won't be using an automatic door right away, I wanted to think ahead in case I decide to get one later on down the road. That way I won't have to reconfigure the door again.

I didn't think about this when I built the pop door, but I'm glad I built mine large enough so my hips can fit through it. My daughter accidentally locked me inside the run one day and she went back inside and couldn't hear me yelling for help. I had to crawl through the pop door to get inside the coop so I could free myself.

Thanks everyone, I do plan on putting an automatic opener on the doors, so I think I'm going to go with 10wx12h. Hope that works OK, it does get very cold here, and I like to keep the doors open all day if it isn't storming.

Back
Top Bottom