How big "Hoop Coop"?

Hoop-houses are nice IMO. Lots of people have used cattle panels. I am planning an 8 x8 foot hoop house myself this spring. It will be designed for birds and plants.

You can buy them in many sizes ready made. Or there was a thread here a few months back about bending your own hoops from chain link fence top rail. A search should bring it up. Search for high tunnel greenhouse kits. Some people use garage kits from Canadian tire!

Many people have also used electrical conduit EMT or PVC pipe. YouTube is full of interesting hoop house designs.

Last edited:
Awesome input thanks.

I saw one Tuesday past in use as a greenhouse. Our winter climate (ice rain, wet snow) seems to demand that snow builds up and must be cleared from inside?

Any experience with letting snow build up?

I know home depot does (or did) carry 4 ga panels. Obviously stronger against various loads.
Tractor supply also has 4 ga panels. AND 6 ga panels. and there's various layouts for the wires, some are graduated (closer at the bottom, further apart near the top), while others are uniform, either squares or rectangles.

Lots of options - but likely to require a lot of either legwork or internet searches to see what's available locally.

/edit and every panel I've ever laid eyes on was galvanized steel. I *imagine* there are probably some out there which have been painted/dipped with a plastic/latex to provide further corrosion protection - but likely at much greater cost.

Awesome input thanks.

I saw one Tuesday past in use as a greenhouse. Our winter climate (ice rain, wet snow) seems to demand that snow builds up and must be cleared from inside?

Any experience with letting snow build up?
Yes, snow can crush a cattle panel hoop house or stress the plastic with its weight. At least one ridge purlin needs to be used at the peak. The heaviest gauge wire is the best unless you use pipe hoops as well.
Snow removal is a requirement on semi circular hoops. Check out the Gothic arch design if you really want a structure that will stand up to snow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom