How big of a deal is a 2% protein difference in Starter feed?

I've been slowly introducing my 6 kids to medicated feed. They spent their first 3 weeks on a non-medicated feed, but we live in an area that has a LOT of birds that love all of the trees on and around my 2 acres. They're 4 weeks old and I'm trying to make sure the kids can fight any 'ickies' they may catch once they're out of the brood pen and into the coop/run.

We're down to the last week of mixed feed (they consume 1 quart of roughly 25% non-medicated/75% medicated, with 2/3 c. grit added, every other day right now). My question is: The non-medicated is 20% protein starter, but the medicated is only 18%. Is this a big deal with a layer flock? Can I continue to mix the 20% with the 18% at this ratio until they move to grower, and still get the benefits of the medication? Or should I make it up with high protein treats and put them on full medicated until they can start free-range foraging?

Also, since we didn't begin the medicated feed until they were 3 weeks, do I extend their time on it by that long? I just want to make sure I do this right.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice. 😊

I've been slowly introducing my 6 kids to medicated feed. They spent their first 3 weeks on a non-medicated feed, but we live in an area that has a LOT of birds that love all of the trees on and around my 2 acres. They're 4 weeks old and I'm trying to make sure the kids can fight any 'ickies' they may catch once they're out of the brood pen and into the coop/run.

We're down to the last week of mixed feed (they consume 1 quart of roughly 25% non-medicated/75% medicated, with 2/3 c. grit added, every other day right now). My question is: The non-medicated is 20% protein starter, but the medicated is only 18%. Is this a big deal with a layer flock? Can I continue to mix the 20% with the 18% at this ratio until they move to grower, and still get the benefits of the medication? Or should I make it up with high protein treats and put them on full medicated until they can start free-range foraging?

Also, since we didn't begin the medicated feed until they were 3 weeks, do I extend their time on it by that long? I just want to make sure I do this right.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice. 😊
2% is not that big of a difference for chickens. For quail, it would be but for chickens it's fine.

You can keep doing what you're doing

Good luck :)

Mixing the feeds in this case doesn't work the way you're thinking. You're diluting down the coccidiostat in the medicated feed by mixing in non-medicated, so basically there isn't enough coccidiostat to kill off the parasite. Either go with one or the other - personally I'd go with non-medicated and have Corid on hand if you're worried that they may need it.

I agree with rosemarythyme, but would go with 100% Medicated feed as you have a lot of birds in your trees.
I feed Medicated Start and Grow 18% for the first 10 weeks, then when bag is empty I switch to a Non-medicated Starter-Grower 18 %.
I feed this to my Hens 12 and 32 months old with Oyster Shells in a separate container. I don't feed less than 18% protein and never more than 20% to all ages of chickens. GC

Back
Top Bottom