how big should a brooder be?

cream puff

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2014
I have 100 day old chicks coming and I need specs on the size of the brooder, anyone know?Is there a standard size? I tried to find it but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Seems the wagon is getting ahead of the horse. Hope your chicks are a little ways off before delivery. Following is my opinion and not professional advice. It is always better to start with smaller numbers in the beginning. 100 chicks is a plentiful number. Can you house 100 chickens in your coop in 4 weeks. Now please don't misunderstand me. Here are my ideas that I do want to offer as sincere help. Initially get about 3 large plastic rubbermaid totes. Set them up with heat lamps and test before use. you want the temperature inside to be around 85 degrees or so. If you seek out a brooding thread, you will find the ideal temperatures, They start a little higher and go down within a few days. You vary the temperature by ether changing bulb size or elevating the light. Whatever would be most ideal. Don t have the light too close to the chicks to overheat them or potentially start a fire. That should house your chicks. Now the tricky part. Your chicks will start to grow immediately, The room may start to get crowded at some point. Then you set up another tote and lessen the crowding accordingly. These smaller multiple units are easier to handle, maintain, and clean, as well as move around. Forgot to mention, the containers will need screen covers to keep chicks from jumping out soon. Starter feed, waterer s , and base litter, paper towels, I'm sure you already are familiar with.
WISHING YOU BEST WITH CHICKS

I have 100 day old chicks coming and I need specs on the size of the brooder, anyone know?Is there a standard size? I tried to find it but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks!
Wow, you really jump in head first...lol Well, the recommendation for brand new chicks is 1-2 square feet per chick of brooder space, but they do quickly outgrow that and before long you need 2-4 square feet. Multiple brooders are an option, just remember at some point if you are going to integrate them it's going to take longer to reintroduce them than if they grow together.
As for brooder temps. One end of the brooder needs to be heated. The recommended temps are 90-95 degrees the first week lowering the temps about 5 degrees every week until they are at room/air temp temps.

smile.png
these aren't my first chickens, I have two coops, one for boys one for girls, the boys will eventually be dinner, the girls will lay the eggs. I'm getting the day olds in March. Ideally I'd use a stall, but the barn needs to be built, maybe I'll go with that as a good floor space measurement. I've been tuckered trying to get the new dog settled....

smile.png
these aren't my first chickens, I have two coops, one for boys one for girls, the boys will eventually be dinner, the girls will lay the eggs. I'm getting the day olds in March. Ideally I'd use a stall, but the barn needs to be built, maybe I'll go with that as a good floor space measurement. I've been tuckered trying to get the new dog settled....
So, you're just feeding the addiction...lol I would love a coop for the roos then I could keep more. I tend to like my roos. Just had to let 5 from my last hatch go. Still stinging from it...lol I couldn't eat them though...lol

I just thought I would pass this idea on. It is to create a brooder in a simple way. Cracle sells the kit, but many peeps would be able to build same with things they already have. Great ideas and information. Now for the disclaimer. LOL I am not affiliated with Cracle hatchery. Hope this helps those with questions. You may need to adjust size as to what they show is for about 25 chicks.
caf.gif
This is 12 minutes well spent.

Last edited:
I just thought I would pass this idea on. It is to create a brooder in a simple way. Cracle sells the kit, but many peeps would be able to build same with things they already have. Great ideas and information. Now for the disclaimer. LOL I am not affiliated with Cracle hatchery. Hope this helps those with questions. You may need to adjust size as to what they show is for about 25 chicks.
caf.gif
This is 12 minutes well spent.

awesome! thanks!

Back
Top Bottom