How big should my flock be?

I use a broom with an angled wooden head, so that keeps the broom shank off the ground at one end to stop asphyxiation rather than a divot in the ground. I have to say though, I thought the woman in the video was rather slow and I felt the chicken was stressed, so I personally didn't feel it was a very good example of how to do it, but you get the gist of what's required.
Can you find another video where they don't rip the head off?
At least it was clear.
When I employed the technique there wasn't much distress.

I also use the broomstick. I would seriously injure myself if I tried to use a hatchet. Not to mention some seriously disfigured chickens running around. It does take a bit of practice to apply the right amount of pressure to do the job without removing the head, but, even if you do pull too hard, that's the next step anyways. I find this method to be so much less stressful for me and for the bird.

I also use the broomstick. I would seriously injure myself if I tried to use a hatchet. Not to mention some seriously disfigured chickens running around. It does take a bit of practice to apply the right amount of pressure to do the job without removing the head, but, even if you do pull too hard, that's the next step anyways. I find this method to be so much less stressful for me and for the bird.
I wouldn't use CD, broomstick or hands, on birds slaughtered for meat as I want them to bleed out better.
Good for euthanasia due to disease or malformed chicks tho.

I'll have to do a side by side comparison re: broomstick vs. neck slit. My birds bleed out just fine, but a side by side comparison would be a good idea.
I only cut the jugular, not the trachea or spine.
Might not be any difference at all, just my preference.....plus I use a cone, put em in the cone, slit, let drain. Then remove head and scald.

I only cut the jugular, not the trachea or spine.
Might not be any difference at all, just my preference.....plus I use a cone, put em in the cone, slit, let drain. Then remove head and scald.
That's what we are getting ready to do maybe this week for the first time.
hmm.png

So I'm looking for least tramatic to the chicken and to ME.

For euthinasia, the broom stick sounds interesting. And cheaper than bullets which we use to put other animals down when needed. Haven't yet had to help a chicken out though. But the way they are always under my feet I have stepped on a few and been thankful nothing was broken.

Thanks for sharing your experience. While I never expect it to become easy, I do think talking about it helps bring me to terms with it.
smile.png

Rebrascora, can you tell me why the gas-chamber method isn't actually humane?

When my chickens are full grown and I'm processing them for meat, I plan on using the kill-cone and jugular-slit method as shown in this blog post: http://theelliotthomestead.com/2014/09/how-to-butcher-a-chicken/
Gas chamber can be tricky, it's suffocation from displacement of oxygen rather than broken spinal column or bleed out so slower.

Not matter the death method there will be death throe movements, which can be quite disturbing.

Here's another good tutorial for more detailed pics.....I found it one of the most helpful when I learned to slaughter.
Especially were to cut jugular and how to avoid cutting the intestine when removing vent.
http://ramblingredneckmom.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-process-chickens-at-home.html

Rebrascora, can you tell me why the gas-chamber method isn't actually humane?

When my chickens are full grown and I'm processing them for meat, I plan on using the kill-cone and jugular-slit method as shown in this blog post: http://theelliotthomestead.com/2014/09/how-to-butcher-a-chicken/
That is basically what I am doing. I thought it had to be a 2 gallon jug though.

These guys are fun to watch sometimes, at least for my hubby. I don't agree with everything they do, but they aren't too bad.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom