How big should my flock be?

Anybody know if it has to be 2 gallon jug?
idunno.gif
I think the one I have in 1.25 gallons.

Tomorrow is supposed to be our first processing day for 3 cockerels.

Anybody know if it has to be 2 gallon jug?
idunno.gif
I think the one I have in 1.25 gallons.

Tomorrow is supposed to be our first processing day for 3 cockerels.
Those larger bleach jugs, the one I have is 1.4 gals, would probably work, tho might be a bit short for my liking.
The cone I used, that I made out of flashing aluminum, is 8 dia at the top x 3.5 dia at the bottom x 15 tall.

I am new at this also, and do not understand what is meant by "Pioneer pullets". Also, some of your abbreviations? Thanks for your understanding.

I am new at this also, and do not understand what is meant by "Pioneer pullets". Also, some of your abbreviations? Thanks for your understanding.
Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Pioneer is a breed. Pullets means a hen that is under one year old. Cockerel is a rooster under one year old.

There is a lot of useful information in the learning center, you check it out when you get a chance. Here is the abbreviation link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/byc-index-of-abbreviations

Enjoy!

Pioneer is a 'brand' (marketing) name of a hybrid meat bird that one of the hatcheries produces(produced?).
Can't seem to find one online, so they may be 'obsolete'.
A slower growing and supposedly better foraging bird than the ubiquitous Cornish cross that so many dub a Frankenstein bird.

Hey Larry! I can help you out re: Pioneer. They are a crossed bird produced by Murray McMurray. An other name for them (carried by other hatcheries) is Dixie Rainbow. They are a nice beefy bird, grow out to finish wt at around 12 - 13 weeks. B/C they are older at processing, they may not be quite as tender as a Cornish Cross. (often abbreviated as CXR) I believe the CXR is processed around 8 - 9 weeks. The big benefit of Pioneers is that they do well when mixed in with a laying flock, free range well. They can also be raised to breeding age, with the pullets (IME) being very good producers of extra large eggs. You could hold over a couple of pullets and a cockrel to produce a second generation. The hatchery will tell you that they don't breed true, but my experience says they breed plenty true enough to meet the meat needs for the sustainable back yard flock. If handled properly, CXR will free range, and with a bit of a cut back from the feed trough, they won't develop the orthopedic or cardiac problems that these birds are noted for. But, it is not likely that you could hold CXR over successfully for following generations, though Duluth Ralphie is playing with this option.

Quote:
Pioneer is a 'brand' (marketing) name of a hybrid meat bird that one of the hatcheries produces(produced?).
Can't seem to find one online, so they may be 'obsolete'.
A slower growing and supposedly better foraging bird than the ubiquitous Cornish cross that so many dub a Frankenstein bird.
Yep......tho Murray McMurray is not listing them, only the Red Ranger Broiler

Back
Top Bottom