How can I create a dustbath

thecreekhouse

Songster
Feb 26, 2015
East Tennessee
98C23B6E-DC98-4109-9CF4-52A60771830E.jpeg
30A8ECEA-0BE4-4AAD-B2F0-EE6AC6E7724A.jpeg
This is my chicken coop and run. It’s 14 feet long and 3 feet wide. Then I have a movable fence around the whole thing that extends about 4-5 feet out in each direction from the coop and run, giving my 6 pullets room to scratch and peck in fresh grass outside the run.

There is really no place in my chicken set up for the girls to create a dust bath so I am thinking of creating one for them. I am thinking of doing it by cutting an entrance into a plastic tote and filling the tote with some type of dust bath material. I don’t have access to any ashes so what should I use? Would fine sand mixed with peat moss be a good choice? Would the chickens be more likely to discover and use the dust bath if I leave the top off of the plastic tote, creating a more open dustbath or if I leave it on, creating a cozy, insular-feeling dustbath? What do you recommend?

Attachments

• 6234AD04-BDB7-4553-9CDB-970A230ABDD2.jpeg
    6234AD04-BDB7-4553-9CDB-970A230ABDD2.jpeg
    1,018.9 KB · Views: 4
View attachment 1628030 View attachment 1628029 This is my chicken coop and run. It’s 14 feet long and 3 feet wide. Then I have a movable fence around the whole thing that extends about 4-5 feet out in each direction from the coop and run, giving my 6 pullets room to scratch and peck in fresh grass outside the run.

There is really no place in my chicken set up for the girls to create a dust bath so I am thinking of creating one for them. I am thinking of doing it by cutting an entrance into a plastic tote and filling the tote with some type of dust bath material. I don’t have access to any ashes so what should I use? Would fine sand mixed with peat moss be a good choice? Would the chickens be more likely to discover and use the dust bath if I leave the top off of the plastic tote, creating a more open dustbath or if I leave it on, creating a cozy, insular-feeling dustbath? What do you recommend?
Hello. I created a wintertime dust bath for my chickens using a under-bed storage tote. I just leave the lid off, filled it with peat moss, a little bit of DE, and wood ash. You could use fine sand in place of the wood ash. It just has to be light and fluffy enough for the birds to toss it down to their skin. My birds love it.
One benefit of the under-bed tote is it rolls easily for refilling. I keep mine under my coop.

Hello. I created a wintertime dust bath for my chickens using a under-bed storage tote. I just leave the lid off, filled it with peat moss, a little bit of DE, and wood ash. You could use fine sand in place of the wood ash. It just has to be light and fluffy enough for the birds to toss it down to their skin. My birds love it.
One benefit of the under-bed tote is it rolls easily for refilling. I keep mine under my coop.
Very clever idea!

I made one with sand and peat moss and they just seem to eat most of the peat moss and not dust bathe in it. The peat moss also shows up in their poop. Do you have that problem?

I use kitty litter pans, just the cheap ones you can pick up at the grocery store. I fill them with a mix of sand, wood ash, dirt (dirt down here is very sandy) and DE powder if I have any around. Wood ash doesn't have to be from a fireplace - ash from a bonfire works just fine. Sometimes I add Hi-Yield Poultry Dust also. If you decide not to make them a dust bath, you will be surprised how quickly they make their own dust bath in the ground!

Back
Top Bottom