How can I make my hen broody?

How can I make my hen broody

• I don't know

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Try to put fake eggs

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
Put a craigslist ad up for a broody hen, alot of people dont want them. I had a buff orpington that never went broody once, and my lavender, black and chocolate orpington hens never have yet, but my speckled sussex and bresse sure do! They tend to go broody in August though.

Cool! I don't have any sussex, but I do have some younger White Breese that haven't started to even lay yet.

Australorp's will also go broody. I know because I had one that died in the nesting box last summer because she insistantly decided to go broody when it was 118 F. out!

That's one reason why I always make sure broodies get OFF the nest at least once a day, because some will, like yours, literally kill themselves to stay on their eggs.

That's one reason why I always make sure broodies get OFF the nest at least once a day, because some will, like yours, literally kill themselves to stay on their eggs.

Yes, as I found that out last summer. Good thing that I already had some of her eggs in an egg carton in the house ready for the incubator. I hatched out a splash Australorp pullet that look's just like she did.

Yes, as I found that out last summer. Good thing that I already had some of her eggs in an egg carton in the house ready for the incubator. I hatched out a splash Australorp pullet that look's just like she did.
That does make it better. I lost my absolutely favorite featherbaby, a Frizzled Banty Cochin hen (a fantastic mother, she was!), to a raccoon attack (over a dozen of them coming in from all directions that month, it was awful!), but was so thankful that I had some of her eggs in the incubator at the time! I had her babies to love, even though I lost her.

Having feathered critters is a learning process, and it can take decades to learn - I was once told, by a real old-timer, that you NEVER learn it all when it comes to raising chickens. It's just that some lessons are much more painful than others. :hit

@Silver6780 I wouldn't do that, but what I would do is ask in your states thread here if anyone has a broody hen that they would be willing to sell to you. Then, if you get one, I would wait until it's cooler weather than the hot summer to let her hatch eggs for you, or make sure that you put her in a nesting box where she would be kept cool and comfortable.

@Silver6780 I wouldn't do that, but what I would do is ask in your states thread here if anyone has a broody hen that they would be willing to sell to you. Then, if you get one, I would wait until it's cooler weather than the hot summer to let her hatch eggs for you, or make sure that you put her in a nesting box where she would be kept cool and comfortable.
But I can't even get another breed I'm so angry right now I just broke my younger stsiters toy cuz I was so pissed they wouldn't let me get another breed /:(

Wow it's always bad luck for me I'm going to kill myself right now and commit suicide I swear over something stupid I will since ISA brown can't hatch eggs and my incubator idk what's wrong with it

That is not even something to joke about... :( If you are serious, please seek out help NOW! That would indeed be a pretty stupid reason to take your own life. :( You can buy an incubator for less than $100. You could probably find one cheaper than that on Craigs List. Hell, you could build one easily enough with a cardboard box or old cooler and a couple of 60 watt lightbulbs. There are threads here detailing how.

But I can't even get another breed I'm so angry right now I just broke my younger stsiters toy cuz I was so pissed they wouldn't let me get another breed /:(

Your younger sister didn't have anything to do with your parent's decision. You should buy her a new toy and tell her that you are sorry.

Really? You're breaking your sisters toys over this? What did she do to deserve that? VERY childish! You don't sound responsible enough to me to even have animals in your care. If it doesn't do what you tell it to, are you going to wring its neck?

Back
Top Bottom