How can I stop feather picking?

IMO, blukote won't stop pecking.....I have actually seen it increase pecking interest.
Although it's a decent antiseptic for wounds,
it camouflages the wound making it hard to monitor healing.
Something like vetricyn is better, or just plain old neosporin ointment.

I am a big fan of tossing in a half a hay bale...

Takes them some work to spread it all out...

Every day you can rake it back into a mountain, then they can spread it back out... it is also a good place to toss treats since they will have to work very hard to find all of the bits that sift through the hay.

I also second increasing the protein to 18 or 20%

You can switch back to the less expensive 16% once it warms up, so they no longer have the stress from cold... and they can start finding bugs.

I am a big fan of tossing in a half a hay bale...

Takes them some work to spread it all out...

Every day you can rake it back into a mountain, then they can spread it back out... it is also a good place to toss treats since they will have to work very hard to find all of the bits that sift through the hay.

I also second increasing the protein to 18 or 20%

You can switch back to the less expensive 16% once it warms up, so they no longer have the stress from cold... and they can start finding bugs.
That’s a great idea.. I snagged a couple flakes of hay a few weeks ago and they enjoyed playing in it. I’m heading out to pick up new food today so I’ll definitely grab a higher protein. I was concerned about switching them to the grower feed again because it has less calcium. But I’m hoping they’ll know to eat more oyster shells. I finally got my first egg yesterday so it makes me a little more worried now.

Back
Top Bottom