1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How can I tell which hen lays which egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chiko, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    I'm getting some eggs in the nestboxes that I'm not sure who they're from. I was wondering if there was any easy, fool proof way of telling who laid them. I'm not home when they lay so I can't see who the culprits are. I heard putting food coloring on their vent colors the egg as it comes out, but I'm not sure if that's safe...I don't have a way to use the trap nest box method either...I'm completely stuck.

2. Chiko

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    And all my hens lay this color egg so It could be any of them. 3 of my hens are due to lay any day now and they will all lay this color egg :) f.y.i. it's a pink egg with white speckles.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Other then the food coloring, or a trap nest, the only recommendation I have is to put a game/web cam in your coop and then review the footage when you get home. I'm able to be here most days, so I know who lays what by simply catching them at some point or another in the box doing their business. Good luck...

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The most foolproof way is to be a chicken nerd and sit there and watch your hens lay. Color can change a bit, but shape stays the same.

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Haahaaha, amen Happy Chooks, amen.

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I heard putting different lipstick colors around each birds vent feathers so when the egg is passed a ring of the color of the lipstick will develop around the egg.

7. Chiko

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    About the food coloring, If I drop some onto the hen's vent at night, won't it dry before she lays the next morning? I'll try the lipstick tonight :) Thanks guys ^_^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by