how can u stop a rooster from crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, Jan 25, 2010.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    i have a bantam barred cochin roo, i thought he was a mute until this morning ( oopsy, forgot, i got him the last week of june fwi). sooo anyway is there a way i can stop him from crowing....he crows rreeallly soft already, i mean i can hear my cockateil better than i can hear him and the cockateil is farther away from the house!!!!!

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I have heard about surgically removing his vocal cords. But I think you would be better off not having a roo then making him not crow.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Put him in the pot? [​IMG]

4. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    put him in the pot!!!! WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN!!! [​IMG]

5. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    That's what they do. Re home him or give it away to some one else.
    A bantam crow is not bad, I wish my big rooster crow like that . find the rooster crow video on u-tube and you will be thankful for his little crow.
    if the little crow is annoying to you now he started wait until he finds his voice.
    goodluck

6. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    does butting him in a box really help???????? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]:confused:

7. FortWorthChicks

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Roosters are going to crow. There is an operation mentioned above but this often kills the bird. Crowing is something I am dealing with myself :S I live right in town but its allowed here in Ft. Worth. There are many more roosters on my street making noise right along with Enous haha.

I swore to my husband I would put up an add for him... but thing is by late that afternoon we had both softened back up. He does take good care of his girls even though they are bigger than he is.

Boxing him up doesn't sound like a very good life :S

Where do you keep him? They need good light to be fertile like the hens need light for eggs so if your hatching eggs you want him to have the same amount of light.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  8. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    not that whole day in a box, only for the night and the morning!!! silly goose

9. FortWorthChicks

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    yep it would work lol

10. crazybarnlady

crazybarnlady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2010
    langley, BC, Canada
    sorry Mermaid,

what usually happens to roosters when they start to crow (usually around 5 months or so, some earlier) is that they are given away, kept for breeding, or butchered for the stew pot. That is what was meant by 'put him in a pot'. Most that are given away meet with that fate, you just don't have to deal with it. Once they start crowing, it means that their testosterone levels are rising, making them more agressive, sexually active, and toughens the meat- so the meat goes in the stew pot to simmer. It sucks, i know- my roos have been raping my girls nonstop and tonite i'm going to have to do some culling myself. [​IMG] But I don't actually mind the roos crowing, and my neighbors aren't close, so I do keep some as pets. The nice ones!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by