how can u stop a rooster from crowing

Ummm... yeah.
duc.gif

OK... stick a fork in me.
th.gif

Had the same problem. Plus sexual aggression. The incessant crowing made me process all but one (out of four). And might I say, if a human's testicle was as large proportionately as chicken's there would be just as much culling of our own. Let's say for a 150 lb man would have canteloupe sized testes. I can't imagine the hormone surge! And like it or not, in our world it would be considered rape. Sometimes we forget how fortunate we are and we should not anthropomorphise our animals.

A little while ago, I proposed building myself a "No Crow" box and received the same response, so I didn't build one. BYC's and nature both say, "cocks were designed to crow".
celebrate.gif

The only times that I cringe about Little Ricky crowing is the very early morning...that dude really wakes up early some times, maybe I should keep him up later at night?
D.gif

During the day he is fun to have out in the yard and only crows off and on about 10-12 times a day and he only crows for 2 seconds.

Little Ricky Crowing:

Has anyone tried keeping a light and radio on in the coop for a few hours at night and noticed that their rooster sleeps in later?
fl.gif
What if lights out at 10pm instead of 7pm? It worked for my 3 kids when they were young
jumpy.gif

--Hugh

omg ok, sooooo now i have a new issue, my rooster crows for one day, and then doesnt for the next 4-5 days. does this mean he has testosterome (sorry about spelling)
hmm.png
fluctuations ????
idunno.gif
idunno.gif
hu.gif
hu.gif
hu.gif

It just means that he's crowing when you're not around to hear or that he's still learning. Sounds like he's young; he won't start crowing consistently for a while yet. And when he really starts, there'll be days where the soup pot seems too good a fate for him. You want to hear noise, come around some morning when I'm cleaning the coop out with mine screaming at me and me screaming back at him. It's like a soap opera.

I'm pretty sure that it's the case that a "teen" rooster isn't necessarily going to be as fertile as an adult, though.

He's a good 7 months old now, he should be mature, or close to it. Does he show interest in the hens? Does he cluck to them when treats are served, do the wing dance around them, mate with them? Do check your eggs for the fertile bulls-eye too, maybe this behavior is going on when you're not watching.

But I still don't know why, when you cannot keep this rooster and have no firm plans for his future, you want to hatch eggs? What will you do with his sons? Will you be posting "how can u stop 10 roosters from crowing" this summer?

i havent gotten any eggs yet this year. idk if he's even interested in them, he lives with them....but then again i dont stare at him all day to see wat he does, so idk what is wrong or not

roll.png
Well, I don't stare at my chickens all day long but I am attentive & observant enough during the time I spend tending to them to notice those behaviors. The question of your rooster's potency is moot if your hens aren't even yet laying. Some chickens are slower to mature than others. You can either rehome the roo now or try & devise a way to keep him from being heard during the early hours.

Back
Top Bottom