How chicks get water when Hen Raises chick

Lisb020

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2018
I am trying the broody hen thing where we let her hatch some eggs. We have one other chicken and there were 2 eggs under the broody hen. We just found one that was partly hatched and dead, and the other one hasn't hatched yet. We aren't sure if she got crushed because the other hen is using the same nest to lay her eggs. Is that a bad idea?

Also, once the other egg gets hatched and the chick survives. We want the hen to raise the chick but how will the chick get water in the coop? The water is on the ground down from the ramp. Will we have to put water in the coop or will the chick be able to get down the ramp to the water?

You will need to provide food and water for the hen and chick and make these conveniently accessible to a two-inch tall chick that wont be able to jump for another week or so. Hen and chick will be staying in the coop for the first three or four days. She will handle showing the chick how to eat and drink, and the chick will mimic her. Chick starter or all-flock feed for both, no need to give each different feed.

A ramp with skid-proof material stapled to it needs to be provided from the beginning so it's there when the hen decides to take the chick outside. It takes the chick a couple days to learn to follow the hen and I usually stand ready to encourage the chick if it isn't catching on.

Permitting other hens access to the hen and her chick is not a wise idea. You never know what crazy notion another hen might get, and even simple curiosity can sometimes be fatal to a chick. I usually give the broody a week to bond with her chicks before letting them join the flock so that she is motivated to defend them should other chickens get ideas.

Welcome to BYC! When I let my hens hatch chicks, I usually separate them from the rest of the flock. Nothing super serious, just a dog crate or something inside the coop. I also have a little fence that I like to use if the nest is on the ground. If your nest is off the ground, I highly suggest trying to move her or setting up some sort of short barrier in front of the nest. Newly hatched chicks are very clumsy, and could quite easily fall out of the nest, which is only a problem if it's elevated. If you do have to move her, I would do it at night.

To answer your water question, since I separate my broodies, I set up a chick waterer and chick feeder with chick starter in it. The hen can drink from the same water as the chick, and it doesn't matter if she eats the chick starter. However, I do like to put a cup of her regular food higher up where her chick can't get to it. But, as mentioned above, it's alright if they eat each other's food. This is just my preferred way of doing it.

While I have heard of hens raising their chicks with the rest of the flock, I don't recommend it. Chickens can be weird about new chickens, and I've had chicks get attacked by other flock members if they escape their pen. I like to keep them separated for about a week, before slowly letting them back with the rest of the flock (keeping an eye on everyone to make sure there's no chance of the chick getting attacked by another chicken). Best of luck to you and your hen! Hope your other eggs hatches!

I am trying the broody hen thing where we let her hatch some eggs. We have one other chicken and there were 2 eggs under the broody hen. We just found one that was partly hatched and dead, and the other one hasn't hatched yet. We aren't sure if she got crushed because the other hen is using the same nest to lay her eggs. Is that a bad idea?

Also, once the other egg gets hatched and the chick survives. We want the hen to raise the chick but how will the chick get water in the coop? The water is on the ground down from the ramp. Will we have to put water in the coop or will the chick be able to get down the ramp to the water?
My broody leghorn hatched 4 eggs and she wouldnt leave the box for many days so I filled a low oval casserole dish with some small rocks (grape sized) then filled the dish with water. Chicks cant drown in it and they quickly mimicked Mom Hen drinking from it right in front of her. Plus the heavy dish could not be flipped over but requires being cleaned and refreshed everyday.

Back
Top Bottom