how cold is cold?

smom1976

too many projects too little time!
11 Years
May 2, 2008
Pensacola, FL
OK so we dont have any northern winters around here and our coops are built much less insulated.. with this first cold snap that is comming through.. how cold is cold? Like for instance we are expected to have 35 degree weather..( we dont get down much lower than the low thirties and upper twenties ) but how cold is cold.. where you have to start doing things to help the chickens?

TIA for any input..

I would assume that all you have to do is make sure they don't have any drafts.

But it might be all relative. I remember dragging out the coats when the temps got down to 60 F in CA but here in UT the kids start wearing shorts when the weather gets back up to zero. Maybe it is the same for chickens. If they are used to warm weather, even 30 might feel very cold to them but our chickens might consider it a nice day.

Our weather has been getting down to 20F and all we've done is cover openings. We are getting ready for colder weather but hopefully we won't have to deal with it for a few more weeks.

i would think that if the water freezes that means its "cold"
cover up the holes and stop the drafts and put in a lite it will keep them warm enough good luck!
smile.png

It depends on what kind of chickens you have. I live a zone or two north of you in Virginia, and we've had good luck keeping cold hardy chickens (like Golden Comets) laying all winter in tractors. We just threw an old carpet over the tractor to give them some protection in the coldest weather (teens and low twenties.)

What they'll really need is light and greenery!

Unless you have chickens that really don't handle cold at all, I wouldn't worry about adding heat to their coops unless you get down into the teens at least. My adult birds won't get accessory heat until the single digits, and they'll be totally fine. I didn't get my window covered until after the recent cold snap here in utah, and it was down in low twenties, and everyone was totally fine. If you're worried, cover the drafts for the night and their body heat will keep the coop quite a it wormer than the outside air.

Back
Top Bottom