How cold is too cold?

chickenluver555

Songster
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
Virginia
Tonight is supposed to be 14 degrees, now i know that is not as cold as in some places. I have three hens, and this is their first winter. It has never been this cold before so I am afraid they might be too cold tonight. I have the option of putting them in my garage for the night just to be safe, or will they be fine? What is the coldest chickens can stand? They are easter eggers.

Up here it's already below 0 with the wind chill. I do not heat or insulate. I do have to go out ever 2 hrs or so to give them fresh water. I gave them a lot more hay, surrounded the coop with plastic and piled up snow around the outside......
idunno.gif

I am not able to bring mine in and I am nervous too..
hide.gif

If you are able I would bring them in...
love.gif

Last edited:
They are calling for 4 here tonight. I have some EEs with other breeds living in an un-heated, un-insulated open air coop, and I'm not worried at all. They can easily handle these temps.

Only three? Put 'em in the garage. Won't hurt them and you'll feel much better. Of course if the the girls are in a nice little coop that keeps the wind off them and predators at bay, they should be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom