How could someone do this?

Can you set up a small pen for him? Another thing to do is let him out an hour or 30 minutes before dusk under your stict supervision. That way, he can get some time out to free range and will be easy to catch by roosting (he might return to his coop on his own).

Same here. One of my bantam roosters had spurs so sharp that the tip felt like a needle. Another one of my roosters had such scary spurs that when I rehomed him because I was retiring him, the person getting him almost didn't take him because he was scared of the rooster's spurs. (The rooster was a good rooster who wasn't mean or anything like that.)

As far as the cockfighting issue, that's a common first thought. (I've even deal with that thought on my first rescued rooster I got in my first year of chicken keeping.) With this rooster, he doesn't appear to be a breed that would be used for such illegal activity, so I highly doubt that's the case. Another thing to consider is roosters literally get abandoned all the time (in cities, back roads, and the most common place of abandonment: farms, both private and non private, that has chickens, which may very well be why he got abandoned at your place). People accidentally get a rooster when they didn't want one, discover they can't have roosters in their area, or the rooster turns mean, and they don't know how to rightfully deal with it. In this case, the poor bird could have gotten into whatever was on him, and a possible vet bill scared the owner and they did what they "thought was best" (which clearly never is).
No, he was tossed from a moving vehicle. There was so much of this white powder on him, that I thought maybe he was put into a box that contained it. It was horrible. He's doing much better now, but this morning had some watery stools. I will add Corrid to his water for a few days. When the kids get home I will get some help getting him out for a little while. I have been keeping him far away from my flock. I certainly don't want him and Clementine tangling up!

Milagro was able to spend one day scratching in a small animal play pen. That evening I put him back in the cage because the play pen offered no protection at all. If anything stood up on it, it would collapse. Yesterday morning I woke up bright and early, went out to feed and open coops. Milagro was bloody. At first glance I thought just his comb had been injured, but there was much more. I wrapped him in a towel and sat and held him for a good while. I talked to him and told him he was loved and it was ok to let go. He started choking and struggling to get air. He had lost one eye and there was a brain injury. I got up and walked to the vet just 2 doors down and across the street. They normally would not see a chicken, but I asked if they could put him down. I could not stand to see him suffer anymore. He had been through too much. Milagro is whole again. He is beautiful and crowing proudly for the angels. Goodbye Milagro 😢❤️

Milagro was able to spend one day scratching in a small animal play pen. That evening I put him back in the cage because the play pen offered no protection at all. If anything stood up on it, it would collapse. Yesterday morning I woke up bright and early, went out to feed and open coops. Milagro was bloody. At first glance I thought just his comb had been injured, but there was much more. I wrapped him in a towel and sat and held him for a good while. I talked to him and told him he was loved and it was ok to let go. He started choking and struggling to get air. He had lost one eye and there was a brain injury. I got up and walked to the vet just 2 doors down and across the street. They normally would not see a chicken, but I asked if they could put him down. I could not stand to see him suffer anymore. He had been through too much. Milagro is whole again. He is beautiful and crowing proudly for the angels. Goodbye Milagro 😢❤️
Gosh I’m so sorry for your loss-I know you must be hurting. Just know that he had a good last few days being loved and is not in any more pain. You did awesome loving on this bird.

Oh no! So sorry about losing him. You did the best anyone could have done for him. :hugs :hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom