how COVID-19 has affected us & our chickens

COVID-19 and the resulting quarantine has had a profound series of effects, many of them positive, on our chickens. Maybe I'll just make a list:

1. I am spending more time at the farm.
2. Our largest series of broody hatches (4) has occurred while I've been on lockdown. In fact, before quarantine, I wasn't buying any chick starter at all. Now, it's one of the most frequent items I ask my store-run buddy to get.
3. A house addition project is on hold so that we can stay further apart physically. Guess what just started when the workers asked for something to do??
. Because I have had an incident regarding a cow and now I'm worried about the security situation with high unemployment here in Latin America, I am considering putting in some sort of structure up front as farm protection. We just started digging what will be the footer. What else could someone do with a structure like that? Pastured meat birds!! This location is at least 100 feet away from the main layer coop so as to separate the two concepts to hopefully prevent transmission of chicken diseases. (Text in red because I am thinking about red broilers (similar to Rangers) or something similar.

Back
Top Bottom